News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Call for tutorial submissions

Started by madbean, August 12, 2018, 05:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

The Tutorials page has not been updated in a long time and I would like to add content. In the coming months I plan on doing some new ones and most of them will be video. However, there are many members here that have done their own tutorials and it would be great to park some of them on madbeanpedals.

There are two categories I am looking for:

1) Externally linked: these are for people who have their own website or youTube tutorials already completed. I would include a brief description and a link your site or youTube video (or page). All credit will be given to you, of course.

2) Internally hosted: this category would include tutorials from any members who would like to write one and will be hosted on the Tutorials page. I would need to give final approval and some editing leeway but this would be totally minimal. They can be in pdf form and I would like the option to convert them into a webpage as well so it can be viewed "live" or downloaded. Again, full credit will be given to the writer and links provided to promote your own site/wares if you want.

One sub-category would be hosted tutorials for material already on the forum. If you've written one on the forum and would like it featured, I will convert it to a dedicated page with your credits and a link to the forum thread. I only need permission to use your words and any images you've uploaded here specifically for the tutorial.

If you'd like to participate, please post in this thread or email me (madbean AT gmail.com). I think this is a good way to expand the site some beyond just the forum which is not everyone's thing.

m-Kresol

Feel free to use my enclosure etching tutorial (linked below) in any way you want. I can send you the pdfs and the docs to alter it.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chromesphere

Brian...Where do i start?   I have a video on practically everything pedal related.  What specifically are you after, beginner tutorials, fault diagnosing, etc? 

Here's a couple of suggestions:

This one single video is probably the best, all in one beginner video i have:

Assembling a Guitar Pedal - The Complete Process

Another popular video is the breadboarding beginner tutorial

Guitar Pedal Beginner Breadboarding Tutorial - Boost

Then there are many fault diagnosing videos, here are 3 i can think of off hand that are pretty important to know (for beginners):

B2B - Measuring The Voltage of a Guitar Pedal

Rock it before you Box it - DIY Guitar Pedals

B2B - Guitar Pedal Enclosure Sizes

B2B - Guitar Pedal Audio Jacks

Yeah...theres tonnes of material.  Let me know if there is anything you want specifically.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

madbean

That's great Paul, I'll be sure to include these. I think for submitted videos I will link to youTube rather than embed in the page with the player. My thought is most people will be viewing on mobile anyway which means the app will launch and embedded videos can take a while to pre-load. Thanks for throwing these in.

Govmnt_Lacky

One tutorial that I have never seen but, would be extremely valuable is one that instructs on how to properly bias and set clocks for BBDs. Using an Oscope and a proper DMM to check signal levels and frequencies.

matmosphere

Paul's audio probe video is a great one too.

Not sure if I could contribute much. I could make a short doc about how I do artwork with transparency paper. Or I could write up something on how I transfer measurements for drilling.

sonnyboy27

I have a build procedure tutorial. It's nothing ground breaking but it's got a couple of helpful tips. I'm gonna add little blurb to it about using sockets to hold your wires while doing your offboard wiring.

https://prentisseffects.blogspot.com/2017/06/getting-started-build-procedure.html

jkokura

My Eagle series is still up on the forum, not sure if it's the type of thing you want on your website or not. It uses an outdated version of Eagle, so I've thought about getting the updated version running on my laptop and redoing a couple episodes. Call it the updated Eagle tutorial.

I have too many things to do though, so chances are high my old tutorial is gonna be it for a while.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

storyboardist

I wouldn't know which end was up in Eagle if it weren't for you tutorials, Jacob. Still pretty relevant IMHO (though I'm still using Eagle 7.7 so I can't speak for how well 6 translates to 8 and 9).

Quote from: jkokura on August 13, 2018, 09:59:17 AM
My Eagle series is still up on the forum, not sure if it's the type of thing you want on your website or not. It uses an outdated version of Eagle, so I've thought about getting the updated version running on my laptop and redoing a couple episodes. Call it the updated Eagle tutorial.

I have too many things to do though, so chances are high my old tutorial is gonna be it for a while.

Jacob

Brian, feel free to use my tracing video if you like.

https://youtu.be/ajpmqMi3R8E
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Rockhorst

I'm working on a big one that contains all the normal steps of building a pedal. Some of if it Nucleon specific, most is not. It is still a work in progress and will include pictures/illustrations in the future. Here is a link..

One thing though is that the place where it is hosted is not setup to handle a lot of traffic, so that's one thing I'll have to keep an eye on.

dont-tase-me-bro

Beavis audio was a handy reference guide, but it looks like a lot of it is gone
I thought this would save me money.

cooder

Yonks ago I did two tutorials on swirl paint enclosures and building and aluminum frame style pedal board, most welcome to use those of course, they are still up anyway.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=20462.0
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17423.0
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

There's the stuff on my site. It's all a bit old now, but still relevant (Envirotex, tube builds, muffage, wotnot): http://juansolo.mooo.com/stompage/
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

trailer

Quote from: chromesphere on August 12, 2018, 04:08:14 PM
Brian...Where do i start?   I have a video on practically everything pedal related.  What specifically are you after, beginner tutorials, fault diagnosing, etc? 

Yeah...theres tonnes of material.  Let me know if there is anything you want specifically.

Paul

Before I found this forum I was watching your videos over and over. My girlfriend hears that intro riff and usually leaves the room because of I'm watching "pedal nonsense" again.

chromesphere

Quote from: trailer on August 14, 2018, 04:03:25 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on August 12, 2018, 04:08:14 PM

Paul

Before I found this forum I was watching your videos over and over. My girlfriend hears that intro riff and usually leaves the room because of I'm watching "pedal nonsense" again.

Thats a coincidence because thats what my wife and kids say when im editing videos as well :|
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube