News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Far Out / spring reverb pedal

Started by cooder, August 13, 2018, 10:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Very nice spring reverb emulation here, and I don't say that lightly since I'm a sucker for old school reverb.
I think it does it very well and I do have a Deluxe Reverb amp clone and a ReVibe free standing tube driven spring reverb unit to compare.
Came together well on a pedalpcb.com board, the belton brick is hidden under the board. So as the Belton brick is I believe basically 3 x PT2399 in one enclosure and the then one PT2399 on the pcb itself this circuit employs a total of four of them to get a nice haunting springy reverb.

Relay bypass by 1776 fx, acrylic faceplate over laser decal as I usually roll these days.

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

So do you put your decals onto the enclosure, then acrylic on top, or do you put the decal on the back of the acrylic? 

cooder

Quote from: mjg on August 14, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
So do you put your decals onto the enclosure, then acrylic on top, or do you put the decal on the back of the acrylic? 
Decal onto sanded enclosure, let dry, face plate on top and screwed down.
That also means I could take face plate off without loosing decal, make a new face plate and stick it back on, in case the face plate gets messed up over time.
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

Cool.  Yeah that makes sense. 

Looks good by the way, as always!

mrclean77

You're screwing with my productivity - my work day is now starting with 'what pedal has Cooder made now?'

Ha! Nice work again, as usual.

jimilee

That's really sharp. I'm digging the face plate, really speeds up the process. Is that just acrylic? You should whip up a tutorial on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BryGuy

A really great series you have going here Cooder. Nice job!

cooder

Quote from: mrclean77 on August 14, 2018, 03:34:47 AM
You're screwing with my productivity - my work day is now starting with 'what pedal has Cooder made now?'

Ha! Nice work again, as usual.
Ha... the pressure is on then. What will it be tomorrow!?!

Quote from: jimilee on August 14, 2018, 03:48:16 AM
That's really sharp. I'm digging the face plate, really speeds up the process. Is that just acrylic? You should whip up a tutorial on that.

If Jimi asks for it I'll better get onto it... keep your ears peeled.
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on August 14, 2018, 03:48:16 AM

There you go, Boss....
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28358.msg274895#msg274895
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

Update on this as I had it on my board for a bit:
Sounds great, however built stock it has a small volume drop when engaged, certainly enough to annoy me.
Simple solution is to increase R4 from 10K to 15K (or whatever value you find right in your setup).
15K worked great for me, seems now unity gain when engaged.

It's a similar fix as on the also excellent sounding spring reverb, the 1776 fx rub-a-dub.
Josh describes this in his build doc there and I applied this here too and works just as well.
Pedal is back on board and it's all good.

IHope that helps anyone who might build this too in case you find the same issue.
BigNoise Amplification

benny_profane

Great build! I'm wondering if the relay bypass allows for reverb trails to continue after the pedal is bypassed?

cooder

Quote from: benny_profane on September 06, 2018, 04:19:40 PM
Great build! I'm wondering if the relay bypass allows for reverb trails to continue after the pedal is bypassed?
Nope.
For reverb tails it would need a buffered bypass AFAIK. Cheers.
BigNoise Amplification

benny_profane

Quote from: cooder on September 06, 2018, 10:48:20 PM
Nope.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm about to work on this build myself and was hoping there was an easy solution to the tails issue. I don't have much experience with relay bypasses/buffered bypasses yet.

cooder

Quote from: benny_profane on September 07, 2018, 06:34:02 AM
Quote from: cooder on September 06, 2018, 10:48:20 PM
Nope.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm about to work on this build myself and was hoping there was an easy solution to the tails issue. I don't have much experience with relay bypasses/buffered bypasses yet.
A great sounding reverb with tails / buffered bypass is the 'dead astronaut' project "Abyss" reverb, I have built that one as well: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27899.0
Not sure who currently does pcbs for that, maybe Robert aka 'dead astronaut' offer some.
BigNoise Amplification