News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

where to find waterslide decal sheets locally...?

Started by mgwhit, October 06, 2011, 08:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgwhit

So, over 40 hours after printing and 24 hours after laying on the last of six (6!) coats of Krylon Clear Gloss, my last InkJet decals bled within about 15 seconds of hitting the water.  I will never use InkJet decals again.

shawnee

gtr2

I would try something other than the krylon to clear coat with. I would try polycrylic instead.  I only use laser stuff but I don't think krylon clear coats quite enough even with a lot of light coats.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mgwhit

Thanks!  I've got some clear gloss enamel that I've used successfully (with laser printer decals) before.  Maybe I'll give that a try today.  Have to print another sheet of LaserJet decals first, though.  Fingers crossed that SmallBear gets my order with the laser printer sheets out today....

gtr2

FWIW, I never clearcoat laser waterslides.  I tried it once and I had a harder time sliding the decal on properly.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

I am floored mg. I've used inkjets for about 8 months now and have not had a single one bleed as it hit the water. I'm afraid I'm going to have to call out the decals you got maybe as a defective product  :-\

I can tell you my process and that is all I know (although many folks at BYOC use ink jet without issue, once the learning curves is obtained of course and they sort of had their own routine. I learned from this sticky http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8896).

I print, let dry 24 hours. Spray testors decal applier (I've used Rustoleum clear gloss too without issue on this first coat). Wait 15 minutes, light coat of Rustoleum clear gloss. Wait 15 minutes, final third coat a little heavier right up to the point of a gloss look (as opposed to the orange peel look).

Let dry 24 hours.

What kind of drying times did you use for both after you printed it and then before you stuck it in the water?
John

irmcdermott

Quote from: gtr2 on October 10, 2011, 04:38:30 PM
FWIW, I never clearcoat laser waterslides.  I tried it once and I had a harder time sliding the decal on properly.

josh

Me too. I only clearcoat once the laser graphic is applied and has dried for 24hours.

mgwhit

TNblueshawk, it may well have been crappy technique on my part, and I'll admit I was wondering if any InkJet users would actually raise their hands on this thread.  I printed the decals and only let them dry for about 2-3 hours before I put on the first two coats of Krylon clear gloss.  After that I let them dry for about 18 hours before I made my first attempts.  After that I sprayed more Krylon and waited another 24 hours.

I never used any decal setting fluid, so that may have been my first mistake.  If that's an absolute requirement for InkJet decals then I certainly didn't follow the instructions.

I had a partial sheet left and managed to print out another decal.  I was going to clear coat it with enamel tomorrow, but if decal setting fluid is a requirement I might as well wait for my laser printer sheets to arrive.

Thanks, everyone, for piping in!

TNblueshawk

I have decal setting fluid but I've never used it. I got it after I started using white water slide decal backs (since I was tired of white pedals) and those are so easy you don't need the setting fluid.

The 18 hours is surely enough time. Not sure if spraying after a few hours of printing would really matter. The reason I wait overnight after printing is for fear of it running when I put the clear coat on, but if that didn't happen I wouldn't think that would matter. I honestly can't think for the life of me what the deal is. If you got a couple of clear coats over the top it can't leak...but....

Let me ask this. How did you cut out the decal? With scissors or blade or xacto knife? You must use scissors for a couple reasons. One, is the xacto will drag that decal/lacquer and tear some. If it does tear I could see water getting up under the edge of the decal and then working its way under the lacquer. I think when using scissors the action of cutting sort of pinches the lacquer and the paper together forming a sort of bond. The only bleeding I ever have is on an occastional edge, but you just wipe that up as it runs. Even then it is just a drop or two as I proceed to get out the bubbles. But that happens less than 5% of the time.

Another thing you could do if the edges are an issue is cut out the decal first and then spray the lacquer as this will seal the edge. I have not done this except in testing and it came out fine.

I know it is a long link, but you could compare what you did with that link I posted above. The money part is on pg 1 towards the middle on Subbacultua's note dated Dec 26, 2006. There are also some great do's and don'ts peppered in that link too.
John

mgwhit

Busted!  I used a hobby knife to cut the decals this time -- always used scissors in the past, but wanted straighter edges.

Thanks for the link to that article.  I read it over lunch today.  There were several parts in there that made me groan out loud when I read them (including the scissors vs x-acto bit) because of my own fairly casual approach.

TNblueshawk

Well, if that is it then cool. At least you know going forward should you want to give the waters a shot again. You would think that xacto, being so sharp and all, is the way to go. I was like you. I still tried the xacto with a ruler for that straight line and it pulled the lacquer on me. So I said forget it. I guess I'm glad it did or it sounds like that water would have leaked under on me.

John