News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best MB chorus or delay for acoustic

Started by stevie1556, August 20, 2018, 08:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I'm really getting into the acoustic guitar lately, and thinking about trying some effects for it. I've got a really cheap AXL chorus from when I first started playing guitar, must be about 25 years old now, one of the really cheap ones from eBay (knowing me back then I can't see it costing more then £20-30 back then). It's never been even been used!

But I know there has to be a better option and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the MB boards for acoustic guitar use? I'm more leaning towards a chorus rather then a delay though.

jimilee

You can't go wrong with a pork barrel for a chorus, I find it pretty universal. For delay, the cave dweller is just fine. I don't imagine you'd need a lot, just enough to fill some space.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

reddesert

Don't let me stop you from building a chorus, but also, try out the Axl chorus. Chorus is one of those effects where sometimes cheap cheesy versions are actually kind of good. (Effectsdatabase actually thinks the Axl is related to a Starcaster chorus, which is supposedly similar to .. a Boss CE-5. I have no idea if this is true.)

Then of course you'll have to build a madbean chorus for comparison and build quality.

jimilee

I have a Jenny green teeth weird chorus. It's crazy. I think it was designed by mark hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Betty Wont

My father-in-law plays acoustic in a working band and i built him a 2 in 1 of a madbean afterlife comp into a madbean pork barrel. He plays nearly every night and hasn't turned it off in over a year.

stevie1556

Quote from: jimilee on August 20, 2018, 09:14:53 PM
You can't go wrong with a pork barrel for a chorus, I find it pretty universal. For delay, the cave dweller is just fine. I don't imagine you'd need a lot, just enough to fill some space.

I thought that and thought I could pick up a cheap Boss CE-2, after reading your comment I thought maybe I can't get one that cheap! I'll have a look at that project.

For the delay, I'm not sure just how much I'd use it for acoustic but I'm interested in it either way. I built quite a few of the original Cave Dwellers and they sounded amazing. Is the newer board a brighter sounding delay then the original one?

Quote from: reddesert on August 20, 2018, 09:41:16 PM
Don't let me stop you from building a chorus, but also, try out the Axl chorus. Chorus is one of those effects where sometimes cheap cheesy versions are actually kind of good. (Effectsdatabase actually thinks the Axl is related to a Starcaster chorus, which is supposedly similar to .. a Boss CE-5. I have no idea if this is true.)

Then of course you'll have to build a madbean chorus for comparison and build quality.

Yeah I will try it when I get another one so I can compare it. I've never used a chorus pedal before so I won't know if it sounds good or not.

I never knew that info about the pedal, thanks for that! I'll have to do more research on it now :)

Quote from: jimilee on August 21, 2018, 01:22:10 AM
I have a Jenny green teeth weird chorus. It's crazy. I think it was designed by mark hammer.

I've heard many things about that pedal but never seen one, not even on eBay!

Quote from: Torgoslayer on August 21, 2018, 02:37:36 AM
My father-in-law plays acoustic in a working band and i built him a 2 in 1 of a madbean afterlife comp into a madbean pork barrel. He plays nearly every night and hasn't turned it off in over a year.

That sounds like an interesting combination! How did you do the switching on it? I've got a couple of spare 1590BB enclosures that I could use for that.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Betty Wont

Quote from: Torgoslayer on August 21, 2018, 02:37:36 AM

That sounds like an interesting combination! How did you do the switching on it? I've got a couple of spare 1590BB enclosures that I could use for that.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

I wired it in series with one master footswitch in a 1590bb. he wanted an "always on" pedal but I suggested a true bypass for the whole lot in case of pedal failure or if his power supply got pulled out or something he can just punch the button and keep going. in theory if he wanted to turn off either side he could just turn down the chorus depth and comp sustain respectively. but he sets it at about 1-2 oclock on the vol and sustain on the comp, and 10-11 oclock on the depth and rate of the chorus and leaves it there all gig.

somnif

Quote from: stevie1556 on August 21, 2018, 06:44:40 PM

Quote from: jimilee on August 21, 2018, 01:22:10 AM

I've heard many things about that pedal but never seen one, not even on eBay!

Its pretty much exclusively DIY. You can find the info about it here: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/jennygreenteeth.html

THCustom (in the bar above) has a PCB for it, or there are a dozen etch/vero layouts floating around if you'd like to give those a try.