News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2x10 stereo guitar amps

Started by Aentons, August 20, 2018, 05:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I'm looking to weigh any and all options to buy or build a 2x10 "Stereo" combo amp. I listed the ones I know of below.

Does anyone know if there are any other past or present production models out there, or if there are any kits or diy projects floating around?

Ideally, I'm looking for a stereo AC-30 top boost with a half power switch and in a small form factor, but I'm open to anything that might be interesting. Solid state is not out of the question. I have owned a JC-77 and loved it, but it had mystery issues so its gone. I would love to build one but have never even seen a clone of a JC much less a project for one.

Any input is appreciated.

Magnatone Panaramic Stereo
https://magnatoneusa.com/products/traditional-collection/panoramic-stereo/

Roland Jazz Chorus JC-40, JC-77, JC-90
https://www.roland.com/us/products/jc-40/

Orange Rocker 32
https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/rocker-series/rocker-32/

Gibson GA-79 RTV
http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/classic-amps-ga79rvt-0120.aspx

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

cooder

Quote from: stringsthings on August 20, 2018, 05:17:35 PM
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=spider%20210

If anyone can DIY this, you win!  :D
If anyone would want to DIY such a crappy amp I think it's a sign of mental derangement...
BigNoise Amplification

Willybomb

I was always a big fan of my Valvestate 2x12 102r.

stringsthings

Spider 2x10:   hey, cooder just called me a crappy amp
Joe Satriani:  really?
Spider 2x10:  am I a crappy amp, Joe?
Joe Satriani:   define crappy
Spider 2x10:   crappy:  full of crappies
Joe Satriani:  well, you need to talk to a crappie
Spider 2x10:  what's a crappie?
Joe:   Don't you know how to use google?
Spider 2x10:  I have no hands, Joe ... I'm an amplifier.
Joe:   ok... let me check ... ( pause ).... crappie:    Crappies are a genus, Pomoxis, of North American fresh water fish in the sunfish family.

Spider 2x10:   i like fish!

All You Need Is Love

woolie

I saw the schematic for the jazz chorus. Omg. Beyond my DIY skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Willybomb

Wellllll..... on that note there's a vero of the JC clean channel at Tagboard.  You could shovel that and a Porkbarrel (or Droogs CE-1) into an enclosure...

jubal81

If buying the magnatone is an option, then I'd say you're done. That thing is amazing.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Must be an expensive build too... having 2x discrete channels.

Stereo is nice tho, I bought a second hand AC15 to pair with my 18w for the L&R experience at home. I'd loath to drag the 2nd amp along to a gig mind you, the AC15 weights about twice as much as my 18W.  Maybe a stereo 2x10 isn't such a bad idea! ;D

jubal81

You know, I think if I were going to DIY, I'd get one of those SHURE stereo Class D boards for the power amps. No output tubes, output tansformers and you can use a much smaller power transformer.

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-electronics-aa-ab32165-2x25w-at-6-ohm-tda7492-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-only--320-332
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

ahiddentableau

I'm just struck by the huge differences between the amps you're considering.  There's a massive difference between a JC series and an AC30.  If you liked your JC77 so much (and who wouldn't?  sweet amp!), why not go that way again?  The price is certainly right.  Lots of pedal obsessives like us love good solid state amps, and that series in particular takes pedals like a dream.  The older I get the more I'm unlearning the silly orthodoxy that says you're only allowed to like tube amps. 

reddesert

Solid state, used: Peavey Studio Chorus 210, Fender Princeton Chorus (210).
I've never had either of these, but they are probably pretty solid choices if you want a clean, solid state stereo chorus amp. I think Peavey and Fender both made a range of sizes when stereo chorus amps were fashionable. I doubt they're as loud as the Rolands, which are legendary for being loud and heavy IIRC. If I had infinite storage space and some talent, I would get a stereo chorus amp, because stereo chorus damnit.

Aentons

Thanks for all the input

Quote from: jubal81 on August 22, 2018, 08:14:10 AM
If buying the magnatone is an option, then I'd say you're done. That thing is amazing.
I wish... it's a bit expensive, so maybe for half price.

Quote from: nzCdog on August 22, 2018, 12:29:00 PM
I'd loath to drag the 2nd amp along to a gig mind you, the AC15 weights about twice as much as my 18W.  Maybe a stereo 2x10 isn't such a bad idea! ;D

That's what I'm thinking... I have an AC30CC head and 2x12 Blues cab and I love it but it's a gigantic pain to move, I even put casters on the cab. My second amp used to be the JC-77 but now I'm just running into a Sansamp Para Driver into a keyboard/PA amp combo. It was nice to be able to quickly grab the JC to go jam with friends or whatever. Now I don't have that option so I find myself either, not going, borrowing an amp, or just taking a pignose. It would be nice to have a portable all in one sort deal that I am mostly happy with.

Quote from: ahiddentableau on August 22, 2018, 02:01:38 PM
I'm just struck by the huge differences between the amps you're considering.  There's a massive difference between a JC series and an AC30.  If you liked your JC77 so much (and who wouldn't?  sweet amp!), why not go that way again?  The price is certainly right.  Lots of pedal obsessives like us love good solid state amps, and that series in particular takes pedals like a dream.  The older I get the more I'm unlearning the silly orthodoxy that says you're only allowed to like tube amps. 

What can I say... I like options. I'm one of those unfortunates that has to feel like I have explored every nook and cranny of every option before I can come to a compromise that I can live with. So, I'm just asking around in case there was something I hadn't seen or thought of.
I really like JC's, but I've really got a thing for the AC top boost cleans too... so I'm hoping for some sort of AC/JC 2x10 hybrid unicorn to magically appear before my eyes (no, I have not thought it thru)

Quote from: reddesert on August 22, 2018, 03:08:21 PM
Solid state, used: Peavey Studio Chorus 210, Fender Princeton Chorus (210).
I've never had either of these, but they are probably pretty solid choices if you want a clean, solid state stereo chorus amp. I think Peavey and Fender both made a range of sizes when stereo chorus amps were fashionable. I doubt they're as loud as the Rolands, which are legendary for being loud and heavy IIRC. If I had infinite storage space and some talent, I would get a stereo chorus amp, because stereo chorus damnit.

I've seen the 2x12 Fender and Peavey stereo chorus amps but not in a 2x10. I actually didn't explore those too much but I'll look around again. I know it's blasphemy but I am just not in to Fender amps. Although, I have considered bolting a couple of Princetons together. I've had a few Peavey amps and they are not really my thing either even though I do currently have a Peavey 1x15 bass amp.

Also, nothing against Line6 but I'm not sure I'd be into those either although to be fair, I have never played a Spider. I did have a Variax acoustic at one point and really liked it and I do currently have a M9 on the board.

Even tho I dig the idea of having stereo chorus built in, it's not a deal killer if it doesn't have it. I do have a couple of chorus pedals.

Thanks again for all the input(except for maybe the fish thing:)

gordo

I bought the Fender 2x12 stereo chorus chassis because 9 out of 10 problems with them is that the tall big electros shear a solder trace if they get bumped hard and either become intermittent or stop working.  Sure enough, 5 minutes after unpacking it I had it fixed.

I'm too lazy to carry a big amp so I built this as a head and run it thru a stereo wired 4x12 at home.  Doesn't get around the fact you need cab(s) when playing out but at least breaks up the weight.  Nice enough sounding amp when it's clean but a bit too "TopGun" with it's own distortion.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

selfdestroyer

I agree with reddesert

The only solid state amp I kept over the years is the Fender Princeton Chorus (210) Black Knob version.. I love that thing. Really lite and has crazy amount of low end if you need it. Great stereo amp for sure.