News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vertigo

Started by cooder, August 23, 2018, 04:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Vertigo, built on pedalpcb Mesmerizer pcb.
Very cool modulation sounds in the vein of vibes, phaser and tremolo.

I had trouble getting this to work properly, initially all populated it worked but sounded off and did not work evenly over range of controls. Checking voltages it showed that the charge pump circuit didn't deliver the 18V to point Vcc on schematic as it should.
And I scratched my head how it could have, I couldn't quite understand how it should have according to schematic.
Turned out that there was an error on schematic and subsequemtly on the board. I contacted BuGG / Robert and he was helpful, saw me right after discussing this.
So if you also have this problem, if you want to get this board working here's how I fixed it:
I got it working in the end by circuit hacking an external charge pump board into it by connecting the 9 V input of charge pump board to pin 1 or 8 of the IC socket on board, the 18V output of external charge board to pin 7 on pcb and the ground of external charge pump board to pin 3 on pcb.
Works now like a champ and sounds great. Unfortunately I forgot to take a gut shot of it. It's now with a friend out of town who wanted to give it a spin and he's quite liking it too... he might be twisting my arm. ;)
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

Found the gut shot in the recycle bin...
You can see the extra charge pump board wired up there.

BigNoise Amplification

mjg

Nice save!

Wow, that graphic really lives up to the pedal name. 

alanp

Nice build :) What does this circuit do? I don't recognise the DIP16 chip... XR2206 function generator?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on August 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM
Nice build :) What does this circuit do? I don't recognise the DIP16 chip... XR2206 function generator?

Its a Catalinbread Pareidolia, a sorta kinda 2 stage phaser-ish, vibrato-y, harmonic tremolo thing.

jubal81

Quote from: alanp on August 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM

Very cool and discontinued chip. LFO generator with minimal external parts.

Nice one, Cooder. I'm impressed you stuck with it. Not an easy fix.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

dan.schumaker

Nice!  I have that same pedal with issues in my "I'll-look-at-it-later" pile.  I'll give that hack a test and see if it helps out!

Hirti

Nice looking pedal!

Quote from: dan.schumaker on August 23, 2018, 02:27:32 PM
Nice!  I have that same pedal with issues in my "I'll-look-at-it-later" pile.  I'll give that hack a test and see if it helps out!
Same here. Have to take a look at it again.

cooder

Cheers guys, yes it's a cool sounding circuit! Unique in it's vibe/phasery sound. Glad I got it working and I recommend to you guys to give this fix a shot, once you look at schematic and take out the chargepump chip from original location on board it's not that hard to butcher it in.
Need some chargepump board like the Road Rage or so. I used a home etched one.

Hope this is of some help so you get it working too! ;)
BigNoise Amplification

dan.schumaker

Thanks for the tip!  I just did this on mine, it fired right up!

cooder

Quote from: dan.schumaker on August 24, 2018, 12:43:45 AM
Thanks for the tip!  I just did this on mine, it fired right up!
Excellent! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

Man, you are on a roll.  I dig those acrylic plates you make.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper