News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Helium OD - EQD Palisades

Started by m-Kresol, August 27, 2018, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Finally, this is done. After my first prototype failed in December, it took me forever to find time and motivation to give it another go. With the help of reddesert, I got this working the second time around and corrected all the design flaws, the first pcb had. The circuit is stock EQD palisades with minor changes to the power section. I also added onboard optical bypass and made it fit into a 1590BB. The major add-on is that the boost can be used individually from the OD. The DIP switch lets you choose between the independent mode and the stock master bypass switching (OD is master, boost only working when OD is on)

I actually made 3 enclosures for this. The first was riddled with flaws in the layout/labeling, the second one didn't turn out as I wanted it to with the laser engraver, so I etched another one. Since I didn't want to spent too much time on it and the enclosure I had was in bad condition after some experiments from at least 3 years ago, I went for a used look. I dig it.

I have several pcbs to spare, there will be a thread in the BST section sometime this week. thanks for looking.
thank you again reddesert!

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cooder

Totally spiffin', what a project! You must be stoked to have mastered it, awesome achievement!
Lots a knobs and settings to fiddle with. Needs a commercial pilots license I guess ;D
BigNoise Amplification

jubal81

Whoa, Impressive!
Really great job on that layout. THat's a tough one but everything is perfectly placed, easy to build and looks as slick as it gets.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

m-Kresol

thanks, I appreciate it.
This one is more about the guts and the layout than it is about the exterior for me. The layout turned out very nice considering the restrictions of the pot and switch positions, if I might say so myself 8)

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

cooder

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 28, 2018, 08:03:09 PM
thanks, I appreciate it.
This one is more about the guts and the layout than it is about the exterior for me. The layout turned out very nice considering the restrictions of the pot and switch positions, if I might say so myself 8)
The board is total top notch design indeed I bet there's tons of thought and development in there.
Which board manufacturer do you use? I have so far used Oshpark and while they are great and easy enough for me to cope with, I always find myself skimping with board size and shape to save on dosh, stingy as I am...
I wouldn't mind seeing what other options are out there that are price wise easier on the wallet allowing in turn to be more generous with pcb size.
Or what's you take on it?
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

Quote from: cooder on August 28, 2018, 10:02:35 PM
Quote from: m-Kresol on August 28, 2018, 08:03:09 PM
thanks, I appreciate it.
The board is total top notch design indeed I bet there's tons of thought and development in there.
Which board manufacturer do you use? I have so far used Oshpark and while they are great and easy enough for me to cope with, I always find myself skimping with board size and shape to save on dosh, stingy as I am...
I wouldn't mind seeing what other options are out there that are price wise easier on the wallet allowing in turn to be more generous with pcb size.
Or what's you take on it?

I used elecrow for this one (and some others). There quality is nice, the process is easy (without preview though) and you can get more pcbs for the same price compared to oshpark for standard boards (1.6mm FR4, 1oz Cu...). One more advantage is that you have multiple colours to choose from and they are similar in the time it takes until the pcb reach your doorstep.
I switched over for some pcbs for a tube amp since size was big and I wanted 2 oz Cu and went for it again here due to the size. However, after the first batch I kind of stuck with them. And it's were Brian gets mpb boards made, so that's a vote of confidence.

Adam_DIY

The entire build looks awesome really dig it and I'll defintiely buy one of the pcbs to build one.  I've been keeping an eye out for your second version of this.

selfdestroyer

That is awesome! Really like that layout and artwork is so cool. Great job.

m-Kresol

brejna

Great design! Would you mind sharing your artwork.. I am really short on time these days..

m-Kresol

Quote from: brejna on August 30, 2018, 09:25:39 PM
Great design! Would you mind sharing your artwork.. I am really short on time these days..

Sure thing. You can download it here: http://felix.kalium.org/upload/share/He-OD_graphics.zip

nzCdog

Wow Felix!  Very cool project, congrats.  I love that etched enclosure too, can tell a whole lotta work has gone into this build.

pickdropper

Very nice build.  I particularly appreciate the little detail of lining up the footswitch nuts with the artwork.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

diablochris6

That's a killer layout! I like the staggered heights of the controls. Seems logical to easily access the ones you would tweak more.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Aentons

I never understood why they made the stock Palisades without an independent boost. I have one of the first run 18v models and I'm always on the fence about selling it because I really like it, except for the boost thing. The other thing that really bugs me is that I wish the second gain was independently switchable as well. How does your handle the second gain switching?