News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfshirt 2015 no octave effect?

Started by sjaustin, August 31, 2018, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

It may but I am not sure...what you could do to shed further light though is just use the diode test function on your multimeter on D1 and D2. I've usually been able to get reliable forward voltage readings even with diodes that are in-circuit. Should be in that .25-.30 range. No reading or a weird reading would support the possibility of a bad diode. Let us know what you find! Otherwise Brian's got you on the right track.

sjaustin

Quote from: Bret608 on September 10, 2018, 08:44:31 AM
It may but I am not sure...what you could do to shed further light though is just use the diode test function on your multimeter on D1 and D2. I've usually been able to get reliable forward voltage readings even with diodes that are in-circuit. Should be in that .25-.30 range. No reading or a weird reading would support the possibility of a bad diode. Let us know what you find! Otherwise Brian's got you on the right track.
Ah ok this may have some impact. Assuming I am using my multimeter correctly, I am getting bad readings on all four Ge diodes.

D1: -.010
D2-4: 0, or within a few thousandths of a volt.

As mentioned, these came from Small Bear, a very reliable supplier. But maybe I should try replacing them?

ETA: if the diodes are all bad, why haven't D3 and D4 messed anything up?

Bret608

Have you tried swapping the DMM leads around to double-check you were measuring in the right direction? If it's the wrong way it should read '1' in most cases. I know I always start off with the leads the wrong way 'round when I do this!  ;)  I know what you mean though, I've never gotten a bad part from Small Bear.

sjaustin

Turns out I did have the DMM set to the wrong function. I had already replaced D1 and D2 when I figured this out. Measuring the new diodes, they are indeed in that range, right about .30 in fact.

But I still don't get any octave effect. Not sure what to test next.  :-\

emakris

Hi,

If you want, send it to me and I can try and fix it if you would like. I build these regularly and haven't had any problems. If need be I have some nice russian diodes I can put into it to make it work if something is wrong there.
Up to you, but happy to help.

Thanks
Ernie
https://www.geargasstore.com

sjaustin

Slight necro-bump to close the loop on this. Turns out I had a cold solder joint on the middle leg of the switch. (Which I could swear I checked, but oh well.) Repaired that, and it screams now. Awesome pedal!

Bret608

Glad to hear it! I was totally not able to tell that from your picture, so I'll bet it was hard to track down.