News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sept Release schedule

Started by madbean, September 03, 2018, 10:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I posted this on the Projects page a few days ago but here are more details:

Dreamtime: FV-1 in a 1590A. Includes the Dreamtime delay patch and one internal FV-1 patch (chorus/reverb).
Headtrip: FV-1 in a 1590B. Includes three of my patches, Choirsaw (mono version), Starfield (delay with phaser) and Parallax (an approximation of the forthcoming tremolo/phaser FFX pedal). The focus of this one is on trippy/ambient sounds. It also has a switch for three internal FV-1 programs.
Wavelord: I'm still working on this one but I think I can get it together in time. Tap Tempo tremolo using the new TAPLFO3 chip. Has 16 different waveforms.

Also, I'll be getting some new stickers and every order will get one. Plus, there will be another giveaway. Most likely it will be a buffered bypass board. It's a little 3pdt mounted board you can stick in any 1590B or above enclosure. Plus, it has an on-board switch to choose between either buffered or true bypass!

I've started back on the Timelapse and I will update as I make progress. A few people asked about the Rustbucket and I will work on that towards the end of the month. Maybe I can pull it together for October.

Finally, the PLR Kickstarter will not start (realistically) until October, I think. I still have quite a few prototypes to get through. So we might be looking at late October or early November for those. I haven't decided whether to try and release 10 at once or do them piecemeal (a couple a month). We'll see how the remaining prototype boards go.

That's it!

m-Kresol

Quote from: madbean on September 03, 2018, 10:33:38 AM
I posted this on the Projects page a few days ago but here are more details:

Dreamtime: FV-1 in a 1590A. Includes the Dreamtime delay patch and one internal FV-1 patch (chorus/reverb).
Headtrip: FV-1 in a 1590B. Includes three of my patches, Choirsaw (mono version), Starfield (delay with phaser) and Parallax (an approximation of the forthcoming tremolo/phaser FFX pedal). The focus of this one is on trippy/ambient sounds. It also has a switch for three internal FV-1 programs.
Wavelord: I'm still working on this one but I think I can get it together in time. Tap Tempo tremolo using the new TAPLFO3 chip. Has 16 different waveforms.

Also, I'll be getting some new stickers and every order will get one. Plus, there will be another giveaway. Most likely it will be a buffered bypass board. It's a little 3pdt mounted board you can stick in any 1590B or above enclosure. Plus, it has an on-board switch to choose between either buffered or true bypass!

I've started back on the Timelapse and I will update as I make progress. A few people asked about the Rustbucket and I will work on that towards the end of the month. Maybe I can pull it together for October.

Finally, the PLR Kickstarter will not start (realistically) until October, I think. I still have quite a few prototypes to get through. So we might be looking at late October or early November for those. I haven't decided whether to try and release 10 at once or do them piecemeal (a couple a month). We'll see how the remaining prototype boards go.

That's it!

Great news. Can you shed some light into differences between TapLFO2 and 3? Do you plan on including the TapLFO chip?

Despite the higher shipping costs to non-US, I vote for 1-by-1 release of the PLR boards. Those are supposed to be "rare" I guess. If you'd release them at once, one could just grab every single one at a time... No collecting obsession.
Gotta catch 'em all!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

oip

definitely keen to check out a 1590B FV-1 pcb! been on my wish / to do list for a while now

madbean

Quote from: oip on September 03, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
definitely keen to check out a 1590B FV-1 pcb! been on my wish / to do list for a while now

No joke: the patches I've come up with for the Headtrip are friggin' outstanding. I love them! I think you guys will be pleased.

madbean

The Dreamtime assembly is turning out to be challenging. Four pots and a switch in a 1590A is a lot. So, I've decided to re-do it as a series of breakout boards. This should make assembly a snap. There will be quite a bit of wiring but this way everything will drop right in.

I think I will also ask PPP about offering pre-drilled enclosures for this one.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Break out boards...a snap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zgrav

WOW.  Looks like some really fun projects coming up! 

zgrav

For those of us that have not soldered SMD chips and are reluctant to try with a $20 chip, is there likely to be an option to buy the board with the FV-1 already soldered in place?

madbean

Quote from: zgrav on September 04, 2018, 08:33:07 AM
For those of us that have not soldered SMD chips and are reluctant to try with a $20 chip, is there likely to be an option to buy the board with the FV-1 already soldered in place?

That's not really something I have the time or funds to do. But, I do realize that there will be some people who want to build these without having soldered surface mount. So, I will be including a tutorial on how to get the right results. It's actually quite easy if you use a couple of tricks.

I just realized I have enough space on the Dreamtime board to include a "practice" board. So, anyone who wants to practice can just get a couple extra TL074 to try out before working on the actual PCB.

madbean

This should be helpful. A spot for two TL074 to practice on. Every pin is grounded and there are two ground pads in the center. So, if you want to check out how well you soldered your pins, just hook up a continuity checker between the pin and one of the ground pads!

alanp

Quote from: madbean on September 04, 2018, 09:17:45 AM
This should be helpful. A spot for two TL074 to practice on. Every pin is grounded and there are two ground pads in the center. So, if you want to check out how well you soldered your pins, just hook up a continuity checker between the pin and one of the ground pads!

With the rider that if you haven't soldered the pin, then touching it with the probe will likely cause it to press down on the pad enough for intermittent contact.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Quote from: alanp on September 04, 2018, 09:19:10 AM
With the rider that if you haven't soldered the pin, then touching it with the probe will likely cause it to press down on the pad enough for intermittent contact.

That's an excellent point, thanks. If you touch the very top part of the pin as it exits the IC casing it might have less deflection, though. In any case, the practice part is the most important.

zgrav

Thanks!  That sounds encouraging. 

EBK

Maybe something like a buff 'n blend for a future giveaway?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber