News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Les Paul 2019 Vid

Started by jimilee, September 04, 2018, 04:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Sigh, another guitar I'll never be able to afford...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Stomptown

Nice! I've got my eye on the Honeyburst 2019 Classic.

Rockhorst

My thought on this are summarized by the observation that I'm more curious about the feel of that slightly asymmetric neck than about the gazillion sounds they try to milk out of the pickups. I also really detest the sea foam green color. That said, most of the recent LPs I've had in my hands where nice playing guitars.

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on September 04, 2018, 09:10:28 PM
Nice! I've got my eye on the Honeyburst 2019 Classic.
I was looking at the honeyburst when I got the smokeburst.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mjcyates

Maybe its just me but I wouldn't buy a Les Paul for single coil sounds. Les Paul Standard should be just that, standard straight forward, no bells & whistles, In my humble opinion of course.

Stomptown

Quote from: mjcyates on September 04, 2018, 11:46:20 PM
Maybe its just me but I wouldn't buy a Les Paul for single coil sounds. Les Paul Standard should be just that, standard straight forward, no bells & whistles, In my humble opinion of course.

LPs do sound really nice with P90s but I'd otherwise agree.  They've tried to dimple fly but hints but there are still too many unnecessary bells and whistles.  My plan is to pick up a 2019 Classic body/neck from Stratosphere and wire it up using the 50s style wiring and a set of PAFs from Timbo. I have two extremely heavy LPs so I'm pretty excited that this years Classic has the weight relief too. My neck is begging for a lighter guitar.

jjjimi84

Not to rag on Gibson because i really believe this is the best thing they have done in a while, I feel like most people buy a les paul to have it sound like a les paul not to approximate the sound of a tele or a strat. With that said blueberry burst is killer looking and i am glad it is not some zero fret pile.

Willybomb

I'm not a Gibson fan at all, but I hope videos like this help turn things around for them.  The guitar looks solid.

Muadzin

I thought they had gone bankrupt? Didn't they go bankrupt?

Quote from: mjcyates on September 04, 2018, 11:46:20 PM

Well, you don't have to use it. But I reckon it would be nice to have if you're a gigging musician who has to cover a lot of sonic ground without having to haul a lot of guitars around.

But I reckon that's one of the biggest reasons why Gibson is failing these days. Bad accounting and management aside they seem to fail to understand their core demographic. Guitar players. You'll find more progressives in Taliban controlled Afghanistan or Wahabist Saudi Arabia then among guitarists. I reckon there are societies that still reject fire that still have more progressives then among guitarists.

jimilee

Gibson did file, but it was more for everything that wasn't guitar related. It was all the other audio gear.

Gibson, in my opinion, is trying to capture that part of the guitar market that wants a single coil guitar and a humbucker. They have to try to capture more market share to stay strong on the guitar side of things.

Aentons

I have a similar 50's wiring with 4 push/pulls in my 2005 SG Standard that does split,split,phase,series. I had to buy the aftermarket 4 wire 490r/498t pickups to replace the 2 wire versions. Why didn't they do this year's ago so that I didn't have to go through all the trouble?  :)

Like he said, it is the best of both worlds since, at rest, it is essentually set at traditional stock config. But if you want the options they are there. I don't think it's really about having the best most authentic single coil sound... it's about having the option and making the most of what you've got. I don't really see a good reason not to have those options available... I mean, what's it gonna hurt?

Quote from: Muadzin on September 05, 2018, 11:10:26 AM
they seem to fail to understand their core demographic. Guitar players. You'll find more progressives in Taliban controlled Afghanistan or Wahabist Saudi Arabia then among guitarists. I reckon there are societies that still reject fire that still have more progressives then among guitarists.

I hear this a lot and I disagree. I think there are a lot of outspoken traditionalists types that lump over on one side of the spectrum, but at the same time there are a lot of vocal modernist types (think: fanned frets and +6 strings) that lump up on the other side. It seems like the bulk of folks, who are somewhere in the middle, tend  to not make a fuss one way or the other. Companies have to sell to everyone... I think this is why Gibson did the Modern/Traditional lines a few years back. Now, after the bankruptcy... Time to rethink it and try something new.

For the weight relief thing, I never understood why they went this route, instead of drilling holes in it, why not just make it a little thinner like an SG. It wouldn't have to be as thin but somewhere in the middle would probably do.

jkokura

I think one of the best thing they've done on this guitar is do that 'transient control' dip switch. More and more guitar recording is moving into direct, and since they can add this feature, guitarists will appreciate the effect in a practical way.

I know a Les Paul is not a 'practical' instrument for the average guitarist, but what they should do is put this in the hands of someone like Pete Thorn and the flogging will work.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Aentons

Interesting... It looks like the SG doesn't get all the goodies that the LP gets. I'm guessing because the cavity is shallower.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/141217-hp-dip-switches/

I'm not familiar with transient spikes or controlling them. Could anyone who cares to do so please enlighten us ignorants? Seems like something you could do in the daw

jkokura

Essentially, It's removing a step while recording direct into a DAW. There are plugins that will do it for you, or you can do it manually, but if your guitar can do it then it reduces the step you have to do and the load on the CPU/RAM.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals