News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You ever have one of those nights...

Started by selfdestroyer, September 04, 2018, 11:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Have you ever had a night that everything just clicks and you feel like a skilled electronics ninja master?

Now my long story:

So I have been in a huge lul with building pedals.. I have been building more synth stuff lately.. but thats neither hear nor there..

I went to my bench and opened my box of "To be finished" and pulled out all my Lovetone builds that needed something or another to finish them up. None of these were tested since they needed a few parts to finish them up for testing.

First up the Cheese Source - Horace - Alanp PCB.. needed some pots mounted and took it to the amp for a test and it fired right up.. played with it for 10-15 mins and called it good.

Then I grabbed the Wobulator - Tremopanation - Alanp PCB. Needed LDRs installed... I remember I sourced all these LDRs for numerous projects months back. Mounted them and took it to the amp to test and it also fired right up... I was amazed, 2 in a row.. Im on a roll

Ran back to the bench and grabbed the Meatball - Rissole 1.4 - Alanp PCB and it also needed LDRs. Minutes later I was at the amp and testing.. Another score.. fired right up. I really love this thing by the way.. spent 45 minutes messing with it.

There is no way in hell I can keep this up, right?

I then went to the PCB I have avoided this whole night because I KNEW it would not work and I would need to troubleshoot it. The Flange with No Name - Nameless - Alanp. This thing was a pretty daunting build. This one needed a few more parts but I had them all on hand. an hour later a scotch on the rocks I was ready to face my failure. Went to the amp and I was floored.. it worked, needs to be biased but It was flanging.

The good news: They all worked..
Bad news: I need to make some enclosures. lol

-Cody

mjg

I think I can honestly say, "nope", I've never had a night like that.   ;D

Sounds like the soldering pixies were helping you out. 

timbo_93631

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 04, 2018, 11:22:08 PM
Bad news: I need to make some enclosures. lol
-Cody
Good news:  We get to see the sweet enclosures you are gonna make!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mjg on September 05, 2018, 02:22:55 AM
Sounds like the soldering pixies were helping you out. 

Agreed! It was something special.

Quote from: timbo_93631 on September 05, 2018, 09:15:56 AM
Good news:  We get to see the sweet enclosures you are gonna make!

HAHA Thanks Timbo. I'm so out of practice I will have to take it slow..

Enclosures ordered, so there is no excuse.

-Cody

jkokura

Since you're an enclosure master Cody, I'm sure this will also go well.

Those nights are the best. Mostly I've been having the opposite sort of nights. Lately it's been potty training accidents and flooding kitchens.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

p_wats

Ha. I was about to start a thread about the exact opposite.

If nothing else, I've been happy with my troubleshooting/probing skills lately, as they've had lots of practice. ;)

timbo_93631

Quote from: jkokura on September 05, 2018, 10:04:05 AM
Those nights are the best. Mostly I've been having the opposite sort of nights. Lately it's been potty training accidents and flooding kitchens.

Amen.  Lots of your kind of nights going on down here too Jacob.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

Something seems different about Cody today. I can't quite put my finger on it...

jimilee

Sounds like the mojo is strong with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

HAHA thanks everyone for the kind words.. Weekend is now planned!

Yahoo67

I got that alanp nameless flanger half populated two... i got make a mouser order but aint got the funds T_T. But i did build a deadendfx doppleganger phaser this week and it worked on the first try :D just gotta to test cv jack^^

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Yahoo67 on September 06, 2018, 04:58:30 AM
I got that alanp nameless flanger half populated two... i got make a mouser order but aint got the funds T_T. But i did build a deadendfx doppleganger phaser this week and it worked on the first try :D just gotta to test cv jack^^

Nice! I have had my doppleganger on my board for a couple years now, still one of my favs.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on September 05, 2018, 05:07:43 PM
Something seems different about Cody today. I can't quite put my finger on it...

Scotch?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

I just FINALLY figured out what you were talking about.. LOL I'm so oblivious sometimes.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on September 06, 2018, 08:21:09 PM

Scotch?

I was already a "skilled scotch ninja master"