News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soda Meiser Vero Issue

Started by greyscales, October 07, 2011, 05:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

I tried building a Devi Ever/Effector 13 Soda Meiser on veroboard today (my first vero build).
There are 2 issues with it:

1. The signal is not constant when either bypassed or on. It almost seems like it is grounding out at times. But there is no consistent way to make it cut out or come back in.

2. When turned on, there is no effect. I get a normal, full signal with volume and intensity maxed. The transistors are in the right way. The switch makes a minor, but noticeable change in sound.

Also, I checked continuity on everything. The only thing that stood out to me was that there was continuity between two rows, and only two rows. Should there be no continuity between them, or should I be able to connect the input and output and get continuity (I'm not right now).
All of the solders look good, no bridges or anything. If pictures are really necessary, I'll get them up.
Thanks!

madbean

Pics of your build may not be necessary, but you need to at least link to the actual vero project you are building to get any meaningful help. That will help us visualize the problem.

greyscales

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/12/effector-13-devi-soda-meiser.html

This is the layout I used.

I used the wiring diagram posted on here for the footswitch and jacks, for the record.

jkokura

Quote from: greyscales on October 07, 2011, 05:17:39 PM
1. The signal is not constant when either bypassed or on. It almost seems like it is grounding out at times. But there is no consistent way to make it cut out or come back in.

That indicates a wiring issue to me, which may be a grounding issue also. Perhaps check your wiring and redo it if necessary. I will say I don't work with Vero, but that sort of stuff is universal I xsay.

2. When turned on, there is no effect. I get a normal, full signal with volume and intensity maxed. The transistors are in the right way. The switch makes a minor, but noticeable change in sound.

Again, this sounds like a wiring issue. Did you check your board before boxing it? If you can, I recommend unwiring it from your switch and check it outside of the box and switch to see if it's a problem on the board or in the wiring. Again, that's a universal sort of thing.

Also, I checked continuity on everything. The only thing that stood out to me was that there was continuity between two rows, and only two rows. Should there be no continuity between them, or should I be able to connect the input and output and get continuity (I'm not right now).
All of the solders look good, no bridges or anything. If pictures are really necessary, I'll get them up.
Thanks!

There should be no continuity UNLESS there is a jumper that connects them. If you get continuity between two rows where there should be none, I think you should try resoldering all the joints on those rows and then see if they still are connected. Try running a knife down between the rows and see if that helps.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

I agree it sounds like something is wrong in your wiring. This is why the test box comes in soo handy, you would be able to isolate the board itself and know that its working before you proceed to any wiring.
Now for the continuity there is 2 rows connected in 2 different places. If you follow the trace cut diagram it should be really easy to see what's connected and what shouldn't be. I always make sure what should be connected is, i verify the trace cuts are doing their job and I try to make sure the rows aren't connected to each like you said you tried.

For the transistors I pulled this from the comments below the link you posted.
"Just check the datasheet for the manufacturer of the transistors you want to use, and make sure you orientate them so it's collector, base, emitter from top to bottom in all cases. "

For being so anti vero you know at least the basics Jacob!! It's a bummer it gave you so much trouble, I really enjoyed building vero layouts. I wouldn't say its easier to work with than PCB's but its more fun to me at least!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Oh, just never worked with Vero before. I'm anti perf though, just cause I can't make things work with it....

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

greyscales

I think I found one problem. I wired the last resistor on the far right to the hole above where it should be. I'll fix that and see if it changes anything.

greyscales

So I fixed the resistor, but it didn't change anything.

Now whenever I flip the switch, it goes from normal to very faint and almost splatty/glitchy. I am getting the right continuity now, where the jumpers are located. And signal still goes through it when on and bypassed.

I was able to take out transistor 4 without anything happening soundwise, so there must be a problem with the circuit or transistors right? This is weird to me. All of the wiring seems right, the pots work in changing the sound level, and the continuity works...  ???

dwstanford

Have you double checked your track cuts?  I have been known to screw that part up more often than anything.  You should have 8 cuts, two of which are hidden behind the 100n caps going into the base of q1 and q2.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Is it possible for you to post clear large photos of the top and bottom? It's hard to give much else advice first..  :-\
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

greyscales

These are the best pictures I can take. It's hard to get close ups of shiny copper surfaces.

greyscales

I've tried all sorts of things but nothing seems to change.

I keep having trouble with the "external"-type 9v plugs. I built a bazz fuss today just to see if it would work, and it wouldn't unless I pressed my thumb against both positive lugs of the plug. Does this mean a grounding problem, because it has happened to me in a couple of builds now, or are the plugs just bad?

Also, whenever I try messing with the transistors (which are socketed) nothing happens. This whole build just has me confused and kind of overwhelmed.
Thanks for any help.

aran.e666

long time to post but yes it is a grounding problem ive had it almost every time. make sure that the battery clips negative wire is connecting to the inputs ground etc. check wiring diagrams for stuff like the baz fuss. trust me it helps alot when you dont know whats wrong so just make sure that youve triple checked it. also if it makes a sort of bass with a very loud fuzz boise it may well be the ground connections. p.s i dont know if tis has been resolved but i saw tis post on a search and tought that id stop by to help  8)
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

aran.e666

another thing. you may have put some parts in the wrong way or have the wrong values. also your input/ output jacks could be faulty so check em out with a DMM.
Guitar is love, guitar is life.