News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jig to hold enclosure while drilling?

Started by HamSandwich, September 08, 2018, 01:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

Looking for advice on how to hold an enclosure down while hand drilling.

I'm tired of banging up the enclosure, scrapping the paint, banging knuckles on spinning enclosures. I have a few C clamps but I use a plastic folding table and it isn't really cutting it, especially when drilling holes on the sides.

Is there any jig that can do these things? Thanks!

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

gordo

I picked up a cheapo vise from Harbor Freight that has done me well.  I've also made up a few knocked together wood blocks in the standard enclosure sizes that work nicely on the drill press.  Wood scraps and glue mostly.

Make sure you use sharp drill bits and pilot holes.  I've had bits grab boxes before and it's awful.  Also go slow.  If the bit feeds itself (mmm...aluminum) it's much happier and less likely to bite.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

temol

Regular drill bit only for  pilot holes, then step drill bit. No need for a clamps or a vise.

T.

jjjimi84

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-jaw-capacity-drill-press-vise-30999.html

This is what i use with my drill press but would be plenty fine for hand drilling. I use a 3/32 bit to drill all pilot holes then a step bit from there.

madbean

Quote from: jjjimi84 on September 08, 2018, 03:13:56 PM

This is what i use with my drill press but would be plenty fine for hand drilling. I use a 3/32 bit to drill all pilot holes then a step bit from there.

I have this too and it's okay. One thing to keep in mind - there is a little slot cut out next to the left side brace. Some enclosures walls can slip into that slot and get locked down at an angle. Just something to keep in mind.

jjjimi84

Vey true, i forgot to mention that i cut a paint stirring stick in two pieces and use it as a protector for the enclosure and to prevent it from getting stuck.

HamSandwich

Oh nice! This was exactly what I was looking for. Good tip on the paint sticks too.

Quote from: temol on September 08, 2018, 01:59:20 PM
Regular drill bit only for  pilot holes, then step drill bit. No need for a clamps or a vise.

T.

This is how I do currently drill, but going from pilot hole up the 0.5" hole for power jack on the top edge of an enclosure always seems to be the start of a YouTube video of someone getting hurt. Something about a drill spinning towards my hand on a slanted unstable enclosure seems like a poor idea.

matmosphere

I find as long as my stepping bit is sharp that a single clamp is more than enough. Sharp stepping bit is the key.

selfdestroyer

Same one i use here also.. Been working for me for 5+ years.

Willybomb

I used to kneel on mine on the kitchen floor....

gordo

Used that a number of times myself.  Works quite well too...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

davent

For my drill press vise i have magnetic jaw liners these...

I never do more then steady an enclosure with my hand whether using the drill press or hand drill. Start with an accurate center punch divot a sharp quality 1/16" bit stepping up 1/32" at a time until you get to the step bit size and the bit's aren't going to grab and spin the enclosure.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

I used to use a mini vice like the one posted above, but my particular vice jaw width is kind of small so it can only hold 1590a's and, i think, b's.  Also holding the enclosure upright for jack and dc holes, the enclosure ends up slightly tilted.  I gave up on it and upgraded to using my hands.  "He's crazy!".  I use step bits on the slowest drill speed, its pretty safe.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Bio77

I think a set of center drills would be helpful as well.  The biggest one in my set is pretty close to the 1/2 inch hole you need for the power jack. I always use a center punch and then center drill pilot holes before moving to the step drill.  A set of center drills is pretty cheap on amazon. They get dull and the small ones break occasionally, so, I get a new set from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-CENTER-COUNTERSINK-Tooling/dp/B000N216SU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536691622&sr=8-3&keywords=center+drill

I use a drill press and my hands.  I get accurate holes by punching them under the magnifying glass.  When I center drill them on the drill press I release my grip slightly as I bring the center drill into the part.  If the part is not perfectly aligned, it will slide into place as the first part of the center drill enters the punch divot.