News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris - LM308 IC insertion? / Not using R10?

Started by Sky, September 22, 2018, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky

HI MadBean friends,
I am currently working on a Slow Loris Project. 
(Here's the Slow Loris PDF for easy reference): http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/SlowLoris/docs/SlowLoris_2015.pdf

I've been looking for the LM308 IC.  Th IC in this link from small bear is the only one I could find, however, it does not look like a normal IC. 
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ic-ua308hc/

1.  Does anyone know if this LM308 from smallbear will work? It does look similar to what was used in the example photo in the pdf, however, it also looks like something else was soldered underneath this
lm308.
2.  If this LM308 from smallbear will work how then would I solder this into the PCB? Do I need an extra component?

Also, in reading the provided PDF, there is a comment about the R10 resistor; which recommends to leave R10 off the pcb all together. 
3. Has anyone had experience leaving R10 out?  (...and super noob question for complete clarity) If I leave R10 off, I would just solder the resistor pin holes for that resistor together via a wire correct? 

Thanks so much for taking the time.  I really appreciate it. 

thesmokingman

you'll want to have the datasheet for the op amp so you can determine the pinout. you don't need anything underneath it to solder it into place. if you're looking to use a socket, you'll have to shorten the legs to use it with a socket.
R10 is a resistor that was included in the rat2 and turbo rat but not originals.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

madbean

It's just tin can packaging for that 308. Same IC, more mojo. The tab should indicate pin1, IIRC.

Sky

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the advice.  You are awesome. 

somnif

Quote from: Sky on September 25, 2018, 10:22:53 AM
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the advice.  You are awesome.

I really would recommend using a socket with the 308. Very useful for heat-sensitive things. Lets you plug in the IC rather than soldering it in place, so no risk of cooking it accidentally.

stringsthings

Sockets are an IC's best friend.

Just ask that SAD1024 from Radio Shack.

( I think I paid $9.99 for it .... which was a fortune back then ...
imagine if I had bought their entire stock of that magic chip .... )
All You Need Is Love

Zigcat

Quote from: stringsthings on September 25, 2018, 07:59:23 PM
Sockets are an IC's best friend.

Just ask that SAD1024 from Radio Shack.

( I think I paid $9.99 for it .... which was a fortune back then ...
imagine if I had bought their entire stock of that magic chip .... )

I imagine Scruff would be hitting you up.