News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you are in the path of hurricane Florence, please be safe!

Started by culturejam, September 11, 2018, 04:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I grew up right in the current likely storm path (southern-most coastline of NC) and have evacuated for hurricanes many times. I know the feeling well.

Please be safe and don't take any chances on "riding it out". You can't magically save your posessions by simply being present. You can't stop storm surge or flooding with willpower.

I'm really hoping this is another case of the media outlets excited at a non-Trump story and over-estimating the impact of the storm.

Either way, godspeed and good luck!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

I've been on business in San Antonio for the past few days with nothing but rain.  Its been mostly minor flooding and inconvenience so prayers for anyone out on the coast.  I've never had to evacuate (home town of Chicago usually just gets snow) and it must be horrible.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

As my younger brother found out recently, riding out the storm isn't necessarily the hard part.  Riding out the aftermath, with no electricity and no open stores for two weeks, can also really suck, assuming you are lucky and your housing remains structurally sound and unflooded.  Things are obviously much worse if you ride it out and end up with major damage to your house.  If evacuation is recommended before the storm hits, please don't wait.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

davent

Quote from: thesmokingman on September 11, 2018, 03:59:28 PM

Had to pull out my old copy of Led Zepplin IV, they do actually give Memphis Minnie a credit... after everyone in the band.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

thesmokingman

in all seriousness, my two tips: have some cash on hand, cards don't work so well with no power. solid fuel bbq grill (used outdoors ffs) because hot meals and hot water are the first things you start to miss
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jubal81

I hadn't missed Facebook until now. I lived in Wilmington for almost a decade and wish I could see how everyone's doing.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

matmosphere

Quote from: gordo on September 11, 2018, 06:01:11 PM
And not by choice.  They got sued on a few tunes.

actually I think this was one of the few they did credit at the time. They've gone back and added lots of credits over the years but I doubt they'll ever credit the Dazed and Confused guy.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

timbo_93631

The coast is gonna get hammered.  We are out of the main brunt here, but if it lands 100 miles south of the projecting it'll be a different story in terms of wind, trees down, power out etc.  Irma was a real eye opener for us last year, it was crazy how hard our town got hit and we are in the middlest part of middle GA.  Praying for those on the coast, especially those who are not able to evacuate without help, elderly, homeless, super poor, etc.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups