News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Most Popular Pedal Effect To Be Cloned

Started by chromesphere, September 12, 2018, 10:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you believe is the most popular pedal effect to be cloned?

Tubescreamer
31 (47.7%)
Fuzz Face
5 (7.7%)
Klon
5 (7.7%)
Mxr Dist+ / Ross Dist
1 (1.5%)
Fuzz Factory
0 (0%)
Big Muff Pi
18 (27.7%)
Tonebender
0 (0%)
Super Hard On
1 (1.5%)
Rat
1 (1.5%)
Other
3 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

matmosphere

Brain does have 3 different Muff boards for sale. 

Honestly I say probably the Muff because there are so many variations. You could build dozens. Where as the TS has changed almost not at all since it was first made.

I'd guess the Rat has a place on this list as well.

chromesphere

The Rat!  Thanks Mat, overlooked that one.  I have changed option 9 from LPB1 to Rat, cheers
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

EBK

A bit lower on the list, but still somewhat relevant, would be the OCD (progeny of the Voodoo Labs Overdrive).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

I mean, Juansolo has two webpages for Fuzz -- Fuzz (Muff), and Fuzz (Other) !
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

tone seeker

I would say the Big Muff, Tube Screamer,
And than the Klon.

culturejam

Are you asking the most cloned circuits that are boutique or big-boy commercial pedals? Or are you asking which is the most popular for DIY builds? I took it to mean the former, but I think others who have chimed in are answering the latter.

As Scruffie says, it depends on the era of pedaldom. The early days of boutique was all about Tubescreamer and Fuzz Face. Then Rats got hot for a while. Then Tonebenders. Muffs got hot (and still are), and of course there have been a stupid amount of Klon clones.

Rebote 2 is another one that got done up with 800 different names and paint jobs. And secondarily, the Deep Blue Delay (which itself is derivative of the Rebote 2, albeit with some very clever improvements).

Right now, I'd say Muff is still king of clones in the commercial space.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

ahiddentableau

I think the list is solid, but I'd add the Bluesbreaker + variants (King of Tone/Morning Glory) -- provided, of course, you think it's different enough from the TS to merit it's own mention.  (I think it is.)

I would maybe add the Dyna Comp/Ross Comp, too.  And possibly the Rangemaster.

Aentons

oip

interesting question!

yeah i was gonna say, i think there would be a fair chunk of people who build one effect to try it and that's it, housed in any random enclosure - and that's maybe a transistor boost, bazz fuss, electra distortion?

of people who get a kit or a proper enclosure type setup, i think big muff

acapulco gold would have shot up the charts recently

vizcities

Given the amount of variants and half-gussied "boutique" reboots, I can't help but feel like the Muff is the winner in terms of pure proliferation; few DIY people build one Muff and call it a day, and most companies (and PCB manufacturers) provide at least a couple different styles of Muff on their rosters. The landscape is plastered with little mods, from the Creamy Dreamer, Hoof Fuzz, Skreddy Mayo, Swollen Pickle, and Muffuleta to that crazy military-grade deal that ThorpyFX makes. There are even whole subcategories of Muff: the op-amp Muff, the Muff fuzz, dual Muffs, multi-Muffs, germanium muffs, etc.  I can see an argument for the Tube Screamer and the Fuzz Face - both can be (and have been) tweaked endlessly, and both are on most guitarists' Baby's First DIY Build/Pedalboard lists. But the Muff is almost less a single pedal than a category of pedal. Hell, people even borrow chunks of its circuit (see: the tone section) to make other pedals more versatile. There are bits of Muff all over most modern pedals. And fuzz folk often obtain/build three or more kinds of Muff; I don't see that quite as much with the Screamer or the Fuzz Face.

Nonstarters for me: Klons are cloned ad nauseum, but aren't tweaked with enough regularity to be a contender. Same with the Rat, honestly. A sleeper might be the SHO, actually - it's an easy build, and it's certainly my favorite boost (excepting the EP, which I love for its buffer). But I can only think of a few commercial clones of it?

Muadzin

Thing is though, 90% of all overdrives out there are basically modded Screamers, the remaining 10% are either Blues Breakers or Klons. Since almost every guitar player has an overdrive, but not always a fuzz pedal, I'd say the Screamer still takes it.

somnif

Quote from: vizcities on September 14, 2018, 12:16:33 AM
A sleeper might be the SHO, actually - it's an easy build, and it's certainly my favorite boost (excepting the EP, which I love for its buffer). But I can only think of a few commercial clones of it?

Probably a few reasons for that. Z.Vex is notoriously peevish about their circuits, and even without a legal foot to stand on they tend to get very annoying if they think their circuits are being copied. Plus, there are "better" mosfet boosts out there, Sans Crackle. Why bother with the "oh its broken" tech support calls when you can just clone Jack Orman's boost and be done with it.

reddesert

Sean from Lovepedal called and asked me to vote for the Electra Distortion.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: reddesert on September 14, 2018, 10:12:40 AM

HAHA was thinking the same thing!

somnif

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 14, 2018, 02:25:07 PM
Quote from: reddesert on September 14, 2018, 10:12:40 AM

HAHA was thinking the same thing!

Ah but the Electra distortion was never a pedal! Its clones may be, but the title specifies "pedal effects", and that circuit was just shoved into a guitar's body cavity!

/ultimate_pedant  8)