News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need your opinions on uC based DIY project

Started by Freppo, September 17, 2018, 03:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi everyone  :)

Lately i've been getting into programming/microcontrollers. Gotta keep learning!
So I have an original pedal ready based on the Attiny85 and I would love to make a DIY project out of it.
I'm sure it's not the last microcontroller projects I'll do, since it opens up a world of possibilities.

However, i'm not sure how to realize this, since selling pre-programmed chips raises a few issues.
Mainly packing. Up until now, PCB's are easily shipped in padded letters, but the chips won't fit or be protected enough.

Shipping in small boxes will raise the shipping cost ALOT (the swedish shipping costs are ridiculous!)...
So that will probably not be an option. I feel that microcontroller stuff is generally alot less DIY friendly because of this. :(

So my idea for now is to sell complete kits through Musikding.de exclusively for this DIY project.

I dunno... What do you think?
Any ideas?

/ Fredrik

mjg

Would you make the source code available for those who can program their own?  Or would you want to keep it proprietary?  (I can understand if you didn't want to give it away - a lot of effort can go into these things)

If you're OK with making the source available, you could have an option to sell the PCB with or without the chip? 

Freppo

Quote from: mjg on September 17, 2018, 03:45:21 AM
Would you make the source code available for those who can program their own?  Or would you want to keep it proprietary?  (I can understand if you didn't want to give it away - a lot of effort can go into these things)

If you're OK with making the source available, you could have an option to sell the PCB with or without the chip? 

I've not decided yet if I wanna share the code (this project has taken countless hours to develop), but in any case I'll share a pre-compiled hex-file. :)

madbean

I think it's not such a big issue with the padded envelopes. You can use IC tubes and just cut them to size. Or, install them on PCBs and put them in anti-static bags. That's what I've done with the VFE stuff and there's never been a problem.

I'm starting to pick up on some Arduino stuff as a side project. Just got a Teensy 3.6 board the other day.

Freppo

Quote from: madbean on September 17, 2018, 05:32:10 AM
I think it's not such a big issue with the padded envelopes. You can use IC tubes and just cut them to size. Or, install them on PCBs and put them in anti-static bags. That's what I've done with the VFE stuff and there's never been a problem.

I'm starting to pick up on some Arduino stuff as a side project. Just got a Teensy 3.6 board the other day.

Installing the chips on the PCB's is a good idea, as that would reduce the size of the overall package and protect the pins.
Maybe it's not a big issue that i've made it out to be. Thanks for chiming in. :)

EBRAddict

You can go SMD and they should be pretty thin. Customers can buy dirt cheap ATTiny programmers from eBay and source their own chips from eBay or a legit vendor. Setting up the toolchain may be difficult for some though. It isn't difficult but it's probably not something everyone has experience doing.

oip

to combine two of the above ideas you could preinstall an SMD attiny, that way the PCB would still fit in an envelope?  otherwise i've got ICs in padded letters many times, the little hard plastic rectangles that some sellers use protect the pins well, as do simple foam pads.

i like the idea of making the code available for anyone that wants to buy/program their own and offering the option of pre-purchasing a programmed chip for anyone who doesn't.  i figure the barrier to entry of microprocessor programming is enough to stop rampant copying (could be way off here).

interested in what the effect is!  attiny85 is a cool little chip.