News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New home page

Started by madbean, September 17, 2018, 06:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I had to open up my old supermac just to use this page. Also, I did so on a Cardtable, and my eyes were opened.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mjg

I really like where you've gone with this page.  A few suggested 'improvements' if I may?

- I'm impressed that you've used tables for layout.  You could make the page a little less empty by turning on the table borders, and adding some cellspacing and cellpadding to everything.

- The plain background is a little boring.  How about making your 'bean' graphic smaller, and tiling it for the background of the page?  That could make things really 'pop'. 

- It looks like you've got some PNG graphics on the page.  What are you, some kind of communist?  Please change them to GIF format.  GIF format has a patent on it, so that means they work better. 

- Links should have a chrome effect bullet point, in GIF format.  That's how we know they are clickable.  You could bake in a shadow effect on the bullet points, to make them really stand out. 

- To roll out this design to the rest of your site, you could use frames for the navigation.  Make sure the navigation doesn't quite fit inside the frame, so it will have it's own scroll bar. 

- A site this important needs proper hosting, I suggest you look into using something like Geocities. 

- Have you submitted it to some of the popular search engines yet?  AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, etc? 

EBRAddict

I busted out laughing at the BOC Veteran of 1000 Psychic Wars rendered in bad MIDI

Leevibe

Well, I'm on the wait list to contact the webmaster. I like teh page but it looks funny on my amber monitor. The music rocks.

timbo_93631

Quote from: Leevibe on September 18, 2018, 05:47:28 PM
Well, I'm on the wait list to contact the webmaster. I like teh page but it looks funny on my amber monitor. The music rocks.
Last night I fell asleep basking under the warm glow of my amber monochrome crt, carried away on a midi dream blanket to the land of unicorn tears, moody margaritas, and card table temples.  It was lovely.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mjg on September 18, 2018, 03:13:07 PM
I really like where you've gone with this page.  A few suggested 'improvements' if I may?

- I'm impressed that you've used tables for layout.  You could make the page a little less empty by turning on the table borders, and adding some cellspacing and cellpadding to everything.

- The plain background is a little boring.  How about making your 'bean' graphic smaller, and tiling it for the background of the page?  That could make things really 'pop'. 

- It looks like you've got some PNG graphics on the page.  What are you, some kind of communist?  Please change them to GIF format.  GIF format has a patent on it, so that means they work better. 

- Links should have a chrome effect bullet point, in GIF format.  That's how we know they are clickable.  You could bake in a shadow effect on the bullet points, to make them really stand out. 

- To roll out this design to the rest of your site, you could use frames for the navigation.  Make sure the navigation doesn't quite fit inside the frame, so it will have it's own scroll bar. 

- A site this important needs proper hosting, I suggest you look into using something like Geocities. 

- Have you submitted it to some of the popular search engines yet?  AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, etc?

I stamp "approve" on all these suggestions!

alanp

Has anyone checked that it renders okay in Lynx?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

reddesert

Quote from: alanp on September 18, 2018, 10:29:19 PM

Great question!  It depends on what you mean by acceptable:

EBK

Quote from: alanp on September 18, 2018, 10:29:19 PM
I used to surf the web comfortably with Lynx (at 1200 baud).  Of course, eventually, every website rendered as:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image][Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image]

It became a lot less fun.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

thesmokingman

throw in a poorly written cgi script or two, maybe a really cheesy flash/shockwave that requires that I download a plugin ... and if you could make it so that it only renders in IE 5 that would be great
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

madbean

There's a lot to consider here. Some really good suggestions.

Here are some possible tweaks: http://www.wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/content.php?theme=2&music=9&url=www.madbeanpedals.com

Yahoo67

I love this forum so much ^^

madbean

Quote from: EBRAddict on September 18, 2018, 04:17:24 PM
I busted out laughing at the BOC Veteran of 1000 Psychic Wars rendered in bad MIDI

VoPW has one of my favorite guitar solos in it. It's so simple but the kind of thing where you are like "yup, that could not have been played any other way!"

lars

Get ready for the greatest ride of your life:
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....