News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

General Guitar Gadgets 15% Off Everything Till 10/3

Started by trailer, September 21, 2018, 08:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Not sure if this is allowed. If not, let me know and I will delete the thread. Anyway, you know the drill. I have a few things I've been eyeing that I will be picking up.

Muadzin

Bursarboy

Just wondering - has anyone been able to but anything with that discount code?  I tried & entered the code, but I keep getting an 'invalid code' error and no discount.  No big deal, I certainly don't need anything, but I was wondering if others saw the same thing.

T

jduma

Yep been busy and wanting a Brass Master for practice and was thinking of taking the easy way out.

EBK

Quote from: jduma on September 24, 2018, 05:20:47 PM
Yep been busy and wanting a Brass Master for practice and was thinking of taking the easy way out.
If you end up buying a Brassmaster from GGG and have problem with it popping, let me know.  There is a mysterious problem with that layout from R.G. Good news is that the solution is fairly simple.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

tone seeker

Quote from: EBK on September 24, 2018, 05:53:19 PM
If you end up buying a Brassmaster from GGG and have problem with it popping, let me know.  There is a mysterious problem with that layout from R.G. Good news is that the solution is fairly simple.
I purchased a couple of the Mutron 3 circuits, which sounded great! But the selector switch, for
Low, med, high. Pops, really loud, when selected.
I tried running 1 meg resistor from switch to ground, 1 meg resistor from input, and output jacks, to ground, as well as a few other tricks,
But it still pops loudly when switched.
Any tips would be helpful

EBK

With the Brassmaster, anyway, the problem lies in the PCB ground trace.  After it snakes itself all over the board, it comes back out at a pad meant to connect to one of the switches, but by the time it gets there, it has picked up a slight bit of voltage and no longer makes a good ground for that switch.  It is not at all clear to me from looking at that board layout or the schematic where that tiny DC shift comes from, but the solution is to cut the ground trace at a certain spot and run a new ground wire to that part of the board.

Edit: Now that I've though a bit more, it might just be that a noise-generating component (the spike-throwing switch) is at the wrong end of the ground bus, which pollutes the ground current of the other parts of the circuit....

There may be something similar going on with the Mutron boards.  Check to see if the board itself is being used to ground external components, and trying running dedicated ground wires instead
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Betty Wont

Both the dead end fx pimp fuzz and fuzzdog  brassmaster are superior projects IMO.

EBK

Quote from: Torgoslayer on September 25, 2018, 05:32:06 AM
Both the dead end fx pimp fuzz and fuzzdog  brassmaster are superior projects IMO.
They certainly have the bonus of MUCH less wiring.  Both of those use board mounted switches and pots.  Compare that to this GGG board:

tone seeker

Quote from: EBK on September 25, 2018, 03:14:47 AM
With the Brassmaster, anyway, the problem lies in the PCB ground trace.  After it snakes itself all over the board, it comes back out at a pad meant to connect to one of the switches, but by the time it gets there, it has picked up a slight bit of voltage and no longer makes a good ground for that switch.  It is not at all clear to me from looking at that board layout or the schematic where that tiny DC shift comes from, but the solution is to cut the ground trace at a certain spot and run a new ground wire to that part of the board.

Edit: Now that I've though a bit more, it might just be that a noise-generating component (the spike-throwing switch) is at the wrong end of the ground bus, which pollutes the ground current of the other parts of the circuit....

There may be something similar going on with the Mutron boards.  Check to see if the board itself is being used to ground external components, and trying running dedicated ground wires instead

I will have to give that a try! Thanks!

lars

Quote from: Bursarboy on September 24, 2018, 07:50:29 AM
Just wondering - has anyone been able to but anything with that discount code?  I tried & entered the code, but I keep getting an 'invalid code' error and no discount.  No big deal, I certainly don't need anything, but I was wondering if others saw the same thing.

T
Yeah. Doesn't work. I didn't even get the "invalid code" message. It didn't do anything.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Bursarboy

Yeah, still doesn't work.  There were some postings on GGG facebook page, but it hasn't been fixed.  Oh well  - someone's telling me I don't need more pedals right now...

T

Bursarboy