News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point SDX Loss of Delay

Started by turtle441, September 24, 2018, 05:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle441

Recently trying ed to finish up a v1 Zero Point SDX board and have run into an issue that I could use some help troubleshooting.  I populated the board, hooked it up to my test box, and it seemed to work okay.  (Had repeats, the slam switch caused oscillation, switches worked etc.). I got it into the box, and now it doesn't have any repeats.

Current checks:
1. True bypass works. 
2. Board is getting power as the modulation led is blinking.
3. Signal passes when it's routed through the effect.  It actually causes a slight boost, but there is no repeats and no modulation. Pots and switches do nothing to the signal.

Recommendations on where to start looking?  It was a tight fit to get the board and jacks in, so it's possible that I broke something on the way in.

turtle441

On a related note, anyone have a voltage chart for the IC's that I could check against.

jimilee

Try removing power and then removing and reseating the pt2399 chips. I've not heard of them locking up in this delay, but anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

turtle441

Thanks,
Got some more time to mess with things today, I tried removing/reseating the IC's, here's where I'm at:
After removing and reseating the chips, I'm partially functioning.  On position 2 of the rotary switch, I get a sweet sounding analogue-style delay.  For the other positions that I can get it to at the moment (I've got a stopper installed that limits how many of the 12 positions I can get to), there's no delay at baseline.  If I switch on the path switch, all positions other than 2 get one initial delay, but none further.  Makes for a clean slap backy kind of delay, but not what I'm looking for.  Modulation and Ghost both work as advertised on position #2.

Given the new findings, makes me think I somehow wired the rotary switch up wrong.  It's mounted on the PCB, so I'm not sure if I mounted it on the wrong side of the pcb or what.  (I mounted switch on the same side of the pcb as the pots, then clipped the little bridge to the main pcb and linked the 2 boards with headers.)

turtle441

Update:  Finally got around to figuring out the switching issue.  Long story short... I'm an idiot.  Soldered the rotary switch to the wrong side of the board, so it only was sending signal through properly on 1/4 of the positions.  Got that fixed today.  New problem is that I think the PT2399 is locking up.  When I restarted it, one of the IC's was palpably warm, and didn't get delay in any position.  Super frustrating because I know at least one of the 4 settings was working for delay previously.  I tried the power down, unseat and reseat trick, but it started again when I powered back up.  Any other tricks to preventing that from happening.  (At the moment, I don't have any other IC's at home to swap out with, I've got another batch coming in a week or so.)