News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

9v Zener diode in the Slambox

Started by cleanclang, July 13, 2010, 06:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanclang

The layout stipulates a 9v Zener. I have some 9.1vs knocking around. Will a 9.1v do?

Haberdasher

I assume it should be ok, but I'd like to know for sure as well.  :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

chutneyfarmer

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 14, 2010, 02:35:54 AM
I assume it should be ok, but I'd like to know for sure as well.  :)

And me!!!

oldhousescott

A 9.1v zener is fine. It just has to protect the input of the MOSFET from seeing more than its rated 20v Gate to Source breakdown voltage.

cleanclang

jkokura

Just to repeat, I'm pretty sure a 9V zener IS 9.1V, as is a 5v is 5.1...

I'm pretty sure of this, but I could be wrong I guess. I'm just going by this: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

wasteofspace

Quote from: jkokura on July 15, 2010, 04:25:19 PM
Just to repeat, I'm pretty sure a 9V zener IS 9.1V, as is a 5v is 5.1...

I'm pretty sure of this, but I could be wrong I guess. I'm just going by this: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok

Jacob

You might be pretty sure, but I'm positive  ;)   . A 9v1 zener is the beast you're looking for, as would be a 5v1 for a 5v.

Remember- this isn't the space shuttle you're building. .1 of 9v1 is 1% = well within tolerances.
- dMac

Making his own pedals since 1998!

Haberdasher

I see there are some different 9.1v zeners for sale at various places I browse.  Some are rated at 400mV and then others are 1 watt.  Does it matter which ones we use?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

It only matters when your power supply is greater than the wattage.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

wasteofspace

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 15, 2010, 09:57:28 PM
I see there are some different 9.1v zeners for sale at various places I browse.  Some are rated at 400mV and then others are 1 watt.  Does it matter which ones we use?

The quick answer is no. 400 will more than cover it for what we are looking at. The long answer..?

(Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing, but I teach in the music industry. It's nothing personal.)

The more involved answer asks you to look at all of your "bits". So, do you use 5% or 1% resistors? Carbon or metal film? What rating do you use for your electro caps- 85 degrees or 105 degrees? 16v, 25v, 50v, 100v, or 450v?

What is comes down to is "leeway". I choose to use 50v minimum caps. I believe it is better- but it is hard to prove definitively why. I also use 1% resisitors.

I believe that I have a better quality effect for using these components. I believe they are more rugged, able to cope with wear and tear better. But on the other side of the coin, 450v caps are probably over the top.

But I also include a voltage protection diode and power smoothing cap and resistor in every build I do, regardless of the schematic. (Pop over to www.muzique.com and have a look; if Jack Orman says so, I think it's worthwhile listening to... ;) )

Remember what I said earlier, you're building an effect, not a space shuttle. You always have some room to move. So relax and enjoy building, and using, your effects.  ;D

Or to put it another way- the day I need to find and use a 472.3k resisitor is the day I hang up my soldering iron.
- dMac

Making his own pedals since 1998!