News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Topopiccione gone

Started by lars, September 30, 2018, 10:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I'm not sure when this happened, but it's unfortunate that another classic source of guitar pedal information is gone. I do agree very much with the reasons given though. It's definitely worth a read, especially the paragraph under "Tired of internet".
http://topopiccione.atspace.com/index.html
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

ahiddentableau

Yeah, I saw that too a couple weeks ago.  It's sad to see the place go.  I always thought it was one of the best of the early pedal sites.  Good information, selection of circuits, and discussion.  He'll be missed.

I agree that the explanation and commentary about the internet was interesting, too.  I think a lot of us have felt similarly, especially in the past few years.  But while I largely agree with his diagnosis of the problem, I don't think I accept his conclusions.  If the quality of information on the internet is bad and getting worse, then I fail to see how removing one of the better sources is going to make things better.  His logic is kind of like preventing a hospital from practicing reckless medicine by burning the building to the ground.  Things aren't great, to be sure, but if that's the his suggestion going forward, you can count me out.

nzCdog

I found his comments interesting. It's funny how the internet confronts us with our past thoughts, naievity, comments and mistakes.  I guess I'm more accepting of my perpetual n00bidity than I used to be.  I remember using his Medusa design as an inspiration when I was researching a pedal power supply build, and am grateful for the help it was.  Sad to see the site go.

stringsthings

That's a shame.  I've gotten some great ideas from that site.
All You Need Is Love

lars

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 01, 2018, 04:48:06 AM
His logic is kind of like preventing a hospital from practicing reckless medicine by burning the building to the ground.
Interesting illustration. Remember what happened on May 14, 2017 (the WannaCry virus)? When the time is right, we won't have to burn any hospitals to the ground. The Internet will do it for us.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

culturejam

I could never figure out how to pronounce the name, so I never really went there.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

"noobidity" is my new favourite word.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stringsthings

Quote from: culturejam on October 02, 2018, 06:37:02 AM
I could never figure out how to pronounce the name, so I never really went there.  ;D

you just made my day!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All You Need Is Love