News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Echoplex preamp and a couple Honey Bees (thanks JMK!)

Started by Boba7, October 01, 2018, 01:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

Hey guys!

Long time since I posted something, I haven't been very active on the forums though I keep reading quite a bit.

So I designed an Echoplex preamp pcb, that's basically a Fat pants followed by a slightly tweaked BJT buffer. The Fatpants I build a while ago didn't do well with certain pedals after it, I guess its impedance was too high.
The toggle switch goes from dark (late models, no cap from source to ground) to bright (early models, 22nf), to a position that's in between (12nf). And with an internal dip switch you can bring a boost position that replaces the in between position (10uf cap)
You can also choose if you want it buffered or unbuffered with another set of dipswitches

Next are 2 Honey Bees thanks to JMK pcbs (my BOTY prize, thanks a lot Jacob)

- 1st is a regular BJFE Honey Bee with a bright switch (I sold it to a friend who wanted it for cheap)

- 2nd is a special pedal I made for my acoustic rig, that includes a clean blend (that reverses the phase of the send/return path)
I really wanted to keep my acoustic sound, but blend in some overdrive. It works amazingly well.
I initially put a 3pdt, but it kept popping a lot (I tried eveythin), so I had to rewire everything and salvage a relay board from an old build, hence the very poor wiring result (sorry guys)

Also, I used an OP134 I had and actually preferred it to the CA3130

I just tried the Honey bee + blend on electric, and it is STUNNING. That is, if you like low gain, the subtle sounds between clean and crunchy. It really makes me wonder why there's not more overdrives with blend. I mean, on a Timmy it'd be crazy good too!!

sonnyboy27

Well done sir. Those look awesome. How do all of the DIP switches in the EP pre work? I know you mentioned what one did (with the 10uF cap). But what are the others for? Also, what blend circuit did you use for the Honey Bee? I'd be interested in giving that setup a go myself.

ahiddentableau

Great builds.  Clean inside and out.

I second the question about the toggles--I was wondering the same thing.

I'd also like to know your source for those stamps.  I've seen them on quite a few builds over the past 2-3 years.  I think they look great.  Minimalistic, functional, attractive.  Where did you get them?  Any recommendations?  And what do you do for ink?  I would expect that to be an issue with smuding and running, etc.  How do you deal with that?  Clear lacquer?

jimilee

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 01, 2018, 04:52:32 AM
Great builds.  Clean inside and out.

I second the question about the toggles--I was wondering the same thing.

I'd also like to know your source for those stamps.  I've seen them on quite a few builds over the past 2-3 years.  I think they look great.  Minimalistic, functional, attractive.  Where did you get them?  Any recommendations?  And what do you do for ink?  I would expect that to be an issue with smuding and running, etc.  How do you deal with that?  Clear lacquer?
Any artsy craftsy store will have them. Hobby lobby, michaels and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

3 great concepts, they sound very useful and well planned!  8) 
You built a couple of them with pots and PCB mounted to the lid... Looks great, is there any psrticular reason? I guess I've just always built them in the enclosure half without thinking about it... Nice to see some build reports from you Boba :)

Boba7

Hey guys, thanks for the warm messages, much appreciated!

Yeah, the Honey Bee with blend is really amazing!!

So to answer your questions:
- Stamps: very cheap ones I bought online, something like that but you can find them in other places than Amazon: https://www.amazon.fr/OurLeeme-Alphabet-Caoutchouc-Majuscule-Minuscule/dp/B07F2CJHP5/ref=sr_1_10_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538418862&sr=8-10-spons&keywords=stamps+alphabet&psc=1
- Ink: Stazon ink, black
- Clear coat: something called Liquitex, in spray

Regarding the Echoplex, it's a simple dpdt arrangement that goes either from the volume pot to the output or the the output buffer. See schematics below.

And the blend circuit I used is from Eatyourguitar: http://www.eatyourguitar.com/splitblendV01guide.pdf and I designed a vero layout for it. If you want it let me know! But be aware there's a pop, and I tried everything (resistors at the input and output, various values) and couldn't get rid of it. So relay bypass is needed.

And yeah, I just like the look of the reverse enclosures, and it makes things simpler when doing things like rewiring everything haha :D