Main Menu

New Waza

Started by LaceSensor, October 04, 2018, 12:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Looks like Boss listen to the internet

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/dc-2w/
https://www.boss.info/uk/products/mt-2w/

The latter will keep the memes rolling, surely.

I am actually very keen to get the DC-2w assuming the price isnt horrific...

ahiddentableau

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 04, 2018, 12:43:37 AM

I would have been eager to climb on that bandwagon (sharing your price concerns), but I just finished a Blueshift not too long ago.  Hard to justify now without major alterations to the circuit, and I think that would be an exercise in missing the point for such a beloved circuit.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm mildly interested in their MT-2 as well.  I always liked the idea of the metal zone--the 3 band EQ with parametric midrange is just such a sensible way to make a distortion pedal.  It works pretty well on the shredmaster.  But, of course, it sucks.  It really, really sucks.  Can they find a fix for that? 

alanp

I suspect it'll depend on the person, and their inclinations, and also how plugged-in they are.

If they are a diy-freak, like me, then they will always prefer to pick up a hot, cheap pencil iron and melt tin/lead alloy to get what they want.

If they are plug-n-play, and don't know this Dimension C nonsense from a hole in the wall, they will just get something else.

If they are plug-n-play, and do know what DimC is, they will be torn between "accurate" DIY copies, and the Boss re-issue (which will always carry something of a stigmata of, just HOW accurate is it?)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Wow. Boss really takes some shots at the DIY community with their wording:  "The genuine BOSS and Roland Dimension effect is back"..."the DC-2W is the only pedal available that delivers the classic Dimension experience with complete sonic authenticity."
So Boss has sourced some original Panasonic MN3007s for this? (highly unlikely, if they did, they would be gloating about it all over that page...featuring original BBD technology!). As we already know, the clones made by the DIY community are actually more accurate to the original than their digital recreations.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aentons

I really wish they would do without the giant, gaudy, lable right smak dab in the middle of the footswitch. It's a huge turn off for me.

peterc

Quote"The genuine BOSS and Roland Dimension effect is back"

Probably a dig at Behringer.
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

nzCdog

Quote from: Aentons on October 04, 2018, 08:16:28 AM
I really wish they would do without the giant, gaudy, lable right smak dab in the middle of the footswitch. It's a huge turn off for me.

Always makes me want to shout aloud WAZZZAAAAA!  I have a friend with that nickname ;D

Zigcat

Quote from: lars on October 04, 2018, 07:52:19 AM
Wow. Boss really takes some shots at the DIY community with their wording:  "The genuine BOSS and Roland Dimension effect is back"..."the DC-2W is the only pedal available that delivers the classic Dimension experience with complete sonic authenticity."
So Boss has sourced some original Panasonic MN3007s for this? (highly unlikely, if they did, they would be gloating about it all over that page...featuring original BBD technology!). As we already know, the clones made by the DIY community are actually more accurate to the original than their digital recreations.

DC-2 used Mn3207.

Anyway, I saw one listed at AM for $230. "No sir, I don't like it."

Bio77

Yep, $230

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-dc-2w-dimension-c-waza-craft-guitar-effects-pedal?rNtt=waza&index=8

Can you select multiple switches on the Behringer?  If not, I'd say they definitely took a look at the DIY version.  That seems to be a big section of their marketing.

somnif

TC Electronic also recently released a DC-2 clone through their budget line, though its more of a DC-1/2 since its mono rather than stereo.

LaceSensor

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 04, 2018, 12:59:36 AM
Quote from: LaceSensor on October 04, 2018, 12:43:37 AM

I would have been eager to climb on that bandwagon (sharing your price concerns), but I just finished a Blueshift not too long ago.  Hard to justify now without major alterations to the circuit, and I think that would be an exercise in missing the point for such a beloved circuit.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm mildly interested in their MT-2 as well.  I always liked the idea of the metal zone--the 3 band EQ with parametric midrange is just such a sensible way to make a distortion pedal.  It works pretty well on the shredmaster.  But, of course, it sucks.  It really, really sucks.  Can they find a fix for that?

its got stereo in and out, thats what I am keen on...

LaceSensor

Quote from: Bio77 on October 04, 2018, 10:56:45 AM
Yep, $230

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-dc-2w-dimension-c-waza-craft-guitar-effects-pedal?rNtt=waza&index=8

Can you select multiple switches on the Behringer?  If not, I'd say they definitely took a look at the DIY version.  That seems to be a big section of their marketing.

you can select 2 at a time with the new Waza DC-2w

skyled

Quote from: Bio77 on October 04, 2018, 10:56:45 AM
Yep, $230

You can select any combination of the switches on the Behringer. From all 4 at once to none, which is kind of a secret 5th setting.

ahiddentableau

Quote from: peterc on October 04, 2018, 09:26:29 AM
Quote"The genuine BOSS and Roland Dimension effect is back"

Probably a dig at Behringer.

That is how I read it, too.  As much as I would like to think that the people at Roland are secretly shaking their fists at anonymous solder jockeys like us, I somehow just can't believe it.

But I want to believe it!

oip

Quote from: Aentons on October 04, 2018, 08:16:28 AM

100%, this is enough to stop me from buying one, it just looks bad.  the pedal on the other hand seems great, though for the price would probably rather build the aion version.