Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm done with Line6 gear - hardware and software

Started by stringsthings, October 04, 2018, 02:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

jkokura

Man, I'm having a hard time understanding this post.

Are you asking a question, inviting discussion, or sharing a poor experience? Making a title and then a 'self explanatory' statement isn't really helpful.

What I'm saying is, nothing is self explanatory on the internet.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stringsthings

Sorry.  I'm having one of those days.   Just venting.
All You Need Is Love

Muadzin

Quote from: jkokura on October 04, 2018, 03:20:28 PM
Man, I'm having a hard time understanding this post.

Are you asking a question, inviting discussion, or sharing a poor experience? Making a title and then a 'self explanatory' statement isn't really helpful.

What I'm saying is, nothing is self explanatory on the internet.

Jacob

Yup. Every time you think this does not need any explanation, people will understand it for sure, then you're absolutely, 100% wrong.

As for the OP, I LOVE Line 6 gear. I've used much of their stuff to my satisfaction, although I've been lucky enough to have never used a Spyder  ;D. What I had has never fallen apart on me. Granted, their amp modeling wasn't always up to par to the real thing, and if I had to chose between my Fractal gear and Line 6 stuff, Fractal wins. But overall for what I used it for it has served me well. I can understand that others may have different experiences. Even the best of things fail sometimes, somebody has to be the unlucky SOB that draws the short straw, statistically that same unlucky SOB may even draw the short straw more then once. But a statistical sample of one is no statistic, and one of the biggest mistakes that people make is thinking that their experiences are the same for everyone.

stringsthings

Quote from: Muadzin on October 06, 2018, 04:07:28 PM

... Even the best of things fail sometimes, somebody has to be the unlucky SOB that draws the short straw, statistically that same unlucky SOB may even draw the short straw more then once. But a statistical sample of one is no statistic, and one of the biggest mistakes that people make is thinking that their experiences are the same for everyone.

Ah, yes.  ( he said, as a wry smile passed across his lips )  I recall back in the days gone by, walking thru the grass
that had been freshly cut on my way to STAT 511.   The teacher was a grad student from Europe.  I believe that his name
was Omegaman.   His super powers included transmitting an F straight to my report card.  Needless to say, I was late for class
and often forgot my $100 calculator.   I did, however, often bring $1000 worth of chewing gum.   Grape, Strawberry, Cloudberry,
Blueberry, Red Pink Orange Rainbow  ( which can be found on FBAY for a tidy sum ).

And then, I barfed.
All You Need Is Love

lars

"Fruit stripe gum. I think it was Charlton Heston's favorite."
           ~Methods and Applications of Linear Models: Regression and the Analysis of Variance by Ronald R. Hocking
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Adam_DIY

My only experience with line 6 was a flextone ii 2x12 which I bought brand new which also lost almost all of its value in no time.  I really regret that purchase. 

somnif

I have a line 6 computer interface (I think its one of the POD series, too lazy to dig it out of the closet at the moment).

It works ok. Blue screens the computer if I try to unplug the guitar for whatever reason though, which is a bit annoying. But, it was cheap, so I didn't really expect much to begin with.

nzCdog

My Line6 love has all dried up too.

I was a gushing fanboi of the pods, and spent way too much on a VettaII (which eventually sold for about 25% what I paid new.)  I recently dipped my toe back in with a second hand PodHD Pro... Had no mojo.  Somehow it always felt like a wrestle to get a sound I was happy with out of Line 6.  They were in there somewhere, mind you.

pickdropper

I think resale value of digital modelers is always going to be an issue, regardless of brand.  If you bought a first gen Fractal, it has lost a significant amount of its value.  I compare it to buying a computer.  There's usually no advantage to buying an older computer and resale value of modelers reflects that.  There may be occasional exceptions, but it will generally be the case.  It's one of the things that would prevent me from getting a Kemperer; at least right now.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thesmokingman

had a flextone II I bought stupid cheap ... it was indeed stupid cheap and I was glad when it was gone.
I'm also not fond of the blues junior amplifier but I don't condemn Fender as a company for it.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

gordo

Still a big fan of my Variax.  I wish I could afford a Tyler but the original still does a killer Firebird clone and some believable acoustics.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Rockhorst

@Pickdropper: truth

I've been using a Line6 UX interface as sound card since they come on the market for my desktop. Sure there's better interfaces on the market with better preamps but for just some home recording fun with no professional aspirations: kick ass piece of gear, very affordable, software still compatible and hasn't failed yet! So for me, at least they got one product right ;) I don't care much for the rest.

playpunk

Quote from: pickdropper on October 08, 2018, 11:59:09 AMIt's one of the things that would prevent me from getting a Kemperer; at least right now.

The Kemper is pretty amazing. I've had one for a year and a half and would have a hard time going back to a "real" amp, at least for my uses - playing at home and through a PA at church.

The only exception I would make would be an OX box and true stereo tube amps. I guess 2 ox boxes, in that case. But the Kemper is just so good I can't imagine the analog rig with a load box and IR's would be much better.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Muadzin

Quote from: pickdropper on October 08, 2018, 11:59:09 AM
I think resale value of digital modelers is always going to be an issue, regardless of brand.  If you bought a first gen Fractal, it has lost a significant amount of its value.  I compare it to buying a computer.  There's usually no advantage to buying an older computer and resale value of modelers reflects that.  There may be occasional exceptions, but it will generally be the case.  It's one of the things that would prevent me from getting a Kemperer; at least right now.

You are completely right in that buying an older modeler is like buying an older computer. Because in essence that's what it is. Then again older Fractals, even the first Standard models, do hold up their resale value better then Line 6 gear. I suspect the biggest problem in that regard is that Line 6 gear is a lot more entry level gear, so it costs a lot less to begin with, plus they constantly release new stuff at a faster rate then Fractal.

On the plus side, while a modeler is like an older computer, an older computer is not a specialized piece of gear, optimized for one purpose. An older computer is a jack of all trades, master of none. And if a Pod, Axe-FX or Kemper sounded right yesterday, it still sounds right today or tomorrow, even if there are better computers now out there. Just like an old tube amp sounds right yesterday, today or tomorrow.

As for resale value, if that's your biggest issue when buying new gear you're probably not buying the right gear.