News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My First Build with Pix

Started by skypn, October 07, 2018, 04:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

First and foremost, Thanks to Mark at Frog Pedals who sold me the PCB, without which I would have never attempted such a build as this for my first build . He also answered a lot of questions. I would like to also thank all the good people at Love My Switches, Parts Express, and Mouser for all the great customer support. Thanks to Scott for all the scrap wire, and Tom for printing out the decals.

And now without further ado...The Banny I.

I have named my version of this pre-amp the "Banny I". My daughter drew the young bassist graphic on my father's day card this year. I just scanned and colorized it. They called me Banny as a child, and my sister says the graphic looks like me as a young teen.

Here is the backside.

The fictitious company that produced it is Nelson Audio (note the "oh" in nelson is a bass clef). I placed the warning label on the back because this circuit produces 185vdc.

And let's not forget the gut shots.

It measures approximately 8" x 3" x 5".  I did not design the circuit myself. It is modeled after the Alembic-F2b.  I have ran it through the fx return on both my Fender Rumble 150, and my Peavy Tour 750. This is how I always wanted my bass to sound. Between the EQ, Clipping, Brite, and Hi Cut options, I can get a lot of different sounds.

The only flaws I can find in this amp are purely cosmetic, and were caused by myself. If I am ever so inclined, I can buy another enclosure, and try again, but those flaws don't stop it from sounding so great. I really think that the water slide labels are the way to go, I just need more practice. I could probably post a whole other topic on what I learned about using the water slide decals.
I could go into more detail, but I'm afraid I may start to bore.

Thank You for looking.
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

EBK

Very nice.
Oddly, I have to say that my favorite part is the twisted wires that look exactly like spaghetti with tomato sauce.  Everything else is quite nice as well though.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Martan

Very ambitious for a first project, and very well done!

Did you have to mod the circuit for the different tube in regards to voltges, eq, etc?

cooder

Fab first build it is! Ticks all the boxes, congrats!
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

Nice work!  As has been mentioned, that's ambitious, and you've pulled it off.

ahiddentableau

Gutsy first build.  Definitely a big step above a buffer or a simple boost.  Then again, there's something to be said for just jumping in at the deep end like this.  Glad it turned out so well!

skypn

To answer Martin, I stilled used the same tube, I just mounted the socket off board. The PCB was designed to make this a stomp box, but I just didn't like the look of the tube hanging out.

Leevibe

Excellent job on your first build! Keep with it. It's going to be fun to see what else you come up with!

stringsthings

Holy Mole Hill, Batman!

That, my friend, is one impressive build.  Keep in mind that the forum runs a contest towards the end of year
for Build of The Year.  With your attention to detail, I would cast my vote for one of your builds.  Excellent!
All You Need Is Love

MJ_Sound_Cubed

Im amazed with it. Do build things regularly? :)
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com

skypn

Mj...I normally do woodworking, although I'm not a complete stranger to a soldering iron. I built the lo-pass, mid-pass, and hi-pass circuits in a bass speaker cab I built.
I made many mistakes with the circuit, and without Mark's help, I'd never had made it through it.
The enclosure, although I'm satisfied with it, knowing the mistakes on it, I'd only give myself a B.
All in all, I enjoyed  building it, and I'm kinda sorry it's over.   

Ekimneets

Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

pickdropper

I really dig this.  What a fantastic and ambitious first build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

p_wats

nzCdog

Sweet build dude!  Congrats on a killer build...  8)