News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Year of the Dragon

Started by pickdropper, October 10, 2018, 05:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This was a commissioned build for a local player.  He wanted a Muff/Klon/Zen/Riot in one enclosure, but each circuit needed to have it's own I/O so that he could use an external switcher on his board.  I elected to go with shorting jacks, so they can be wired individually or you can just use the two outside jacks and have it be a multi.  Because of the 8 enclosed jacks, I had to use a slightly taller enclosure than I usually would have.  I made some shorting boards to simplify the wiring a bit.  It's not my neatest gutwork, but I ended up having to take it apart a few times because I had to both make changes to the faceplate and ream out the holes in the box a little bit.  I also decided to wire the shorting jacks above the fray, which doesn't look quite as nice, but has a functional advantage in this case.

Photographs were a bit challenging because the plate is so reflective.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

drog_trog

Wow Super cool and super tidy! Great job

sjaustin

This is amazing work. I always enjoy your builds.

The shorting jacks is an interesting idea. I didn't know there was such a thing but have often wondered about ways to put a loop inside a multi without having to connect it with a patch cable when it's not in use. Perhaps this is the solution. Got a store link? The only ones I'm getting from Google are not from my trusted vendors.

pickdropper

Quote from: sjaustin on October 10, 2018, 05:33:28 AM
This is amazing work. I always enjoy your builds.

The shorting jacks is an interesting idea. I didn't know there was such a thing but have often wondered about ways to put a loop inside a multi without having to connect it with a patch cable when it's not in use. Perhaps this is the solution. Got a store link? The only ones I'm getting from Google are not from my trusted vendors.

There are LOTS of options, I usually go with Neutrik or Amphenol.  I used narrow footprint jacks on these, but you can use the wider ones just fine as well.  Here are a couple I keep around:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Audio/ACJM-MHDRM?qs=%2fha2pyFaduioDc2dmENTOVHiL9cFKYOTfdr4QPDFo8BjGC4WjzuuPg%3d%3d

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NMJ4HCD2?qs=%2fha2pyFadugs9GczV%2fdqJQUgl1peQhSIeb5aYoO4Dkg%3d

These are PCB mount, but you can get solder tab.  These are also mono, but you can get them in stereo as well.  Both Neutrik and Amphenol have catalogs that help you choose the options you are looking for fairly easily.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chongmagic

Awesome job, I think the gutwork looks great.

The dragon plate is amazing.

Ekimneets

That is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

jimilee

Wow, that's very impressive man. You've topped yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Super cool, that plate is beautiful!

m-Kresol

Wow, that's a georgeous build! And I was just briefly believing you about messy wiring, then I remembered who you are and wasn't dissapointed once I scrolled down to the gut shot. That muff board is also pleasingly symmetrical :)

Any reason you still use 3pdt and not optical or relay bypass?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

culturejam

For god's sake, Dave, clean up that wiring.  :P
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

TGP39

Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

nzCdog

Beautiful inside and out! ♥

diablochris6

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Willybomb

That is a thing of beauty right there.

cooder

I can see a finger print on the second photo.... rock shock horror...

... just kiddin'. Most excellent of course. What else could I add while my jaw is on the floor...?
BigNoise Amplification