News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual gang pots

Started by Aentons, October 10, 2018, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Is there anywhere you can get multi-value dual gang pots similar to the ones used in the VFE Standout, Dragon, and Pinball?

C10k/C100k Custom PCB Dual-Gang 16mm

Is it the different values that are custom about these, or is it tolerance, or taper, or something else?

EBK

I hate to say it, but I would be tempted to consider such a pot to indicate a very serious design error in the circuit that supposedly needs it.  I really want to be convinced otherwise.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

Interesting... I'm looking to do a similar application as the VFE stuff, a variable 2pole hpf and lpf. Is there another way to go about this that you would recommend?

Are you saying  just a regular A100k dual gang should work fine for most applications?

BTW, I'm also open to 9mm pots if anyone has a source for those.

m-Kresol

one of Aeon electronics' build docs has a tutorial on how to do that based on 2 single pots. Basically you remove one resistor element of a dual pot and replace it with another from a mono pot.
Shoot him a PM or go on a scavenger hunt, I don't know which doc it was.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

dan.schumaker

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 10, 2018, 10:58:55 AM
one of Aeon electronics' build docs has a tutorial on how to do that based on 2 single pots. Basically you remove one resistor element of a dual pot and replace it with another from a mono pot.
Shoot him a PM or go on a scavenger hunt, I don't know which doc it was.

It was for the Aion Chroma

madbean

They are custom ordered. You'd be looking at a minimum of 1000 to get any, I'm afraid.

Aentons

Hmmm... So what's the benefit of multi-value vs using a regual dual 100k? Is there something special about Peter's design that requires it? steeper slope, less resonance... etc

jduma

This is what I did for some Vfe project just combined a C10 with a C100 dual.

alanp

Use a normal dual-gang, with resistors across the lugs of one of them to get the taper/resistance you want. Easiest way.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Here is some info regarding making HP and LP filters with more readily available dual gang pots:
http://sound.whsites.net/project155.htm

One particularly relevant part reads: "a traditional Sallen-Key 12dB/octave filter needs a dual-gang pot with different resistances. These are not available. You could have them specially made but that will be a very expensive exercise indeed. The easy way to get around the problem is to give the filter opamp (U1B) some gain."
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aleph Null

With single pots, it's possible to open them up and replace or modify the resistant plate the wiper goes over. Is there a E reason you couldn't order two dual gang pots in the values you need, the mix and match the plates?