News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Car repair is poopy

Started by madbean, October 11, 2018, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Most car repair/maintenance work is a complete pain, but it does depend on the car. Every once in a while, you come across engineering and practicality that makes so much sense, it just about blows you away. I'm speaking of course of 1980's Toyota 4x4's. These are hands down the easiest, most inexpensive vehicles to work on and maintain that I've ever come across (There's a Top Gear episode dedicated to this very fact). I had to replace both my master and slave brake cylinders one day. 1.5 hour job with nothing but a socket set and no floor jack. Total price...$30. I rebuilt the entire front end of the engine:  new timing chain/sprocket/guides/chain cover/gaskets/oil pump/water pump/oil pan gasket...about 6 hours with a total price of $100. Again; socket set and no floor jack needed.
If everything in the world were engineered like this, we wouldn't know what to do with all our extra time and money. If you happen to have an older Toyota 4x4, don't ever, ever, ever get rid of it. You will still be able to drive it, even after a nuclear holocaust.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....