News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder Waste Disposal

Started by Bio77, October 12, 2018, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bio77

Hey All,

I was wondering what is the right way to get rid of solder waste? 

I've been dumping the left over solder bits from my tip cleaner (brass scour-pad style) into a plastic bag.  I keep that bag in the garage next to my bag of used Li batteries, which I am also not quite sure how to get rid of! :P 

EBK

I must confess that I don't really know what you mean by solder waste.  I may occasionally get a stray blob of solder somewhere, but nothing in a quantity that I could consider collecting.   ???
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

I never knew that even existed. I wonder if you could melt it down and resolidify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

the right answer is that a number of cities/counties have toxic waste disposal sites for paint, cleaners, lead, etc. that said you could smelt the solder and recast it into bars, slugs, bullets, etc ... probably toxic as all hell, but whatever it's a party
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Aye, the crud I shake off my brass sponge goes into a little tupperwear-ish container along with clipped tinned leads and little scraps of solder.

Whenever my town has a HHW (household hazardous waste) pickup, I toss it at them.

Bio77

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 12, 2018, 11:10:25 AM
the right answer is that a number of cities/counties have toxic waste disposal sites for paint, cleaners, lead, etc. that said you could smelt the solder and recast it into bars, slugs, bullets, etc ... probably toxic as all hell, but whatever it's a party
Quote from: somnif on October 12, 2018, 11:15:54 AM
Aye, the crud I shake off my brass sponge goes into a little tupperwear-ish container along with clipped tinned leads and little scraps of solder.

Whenever my town has a HHW (household hazardous waste) pickup, I toss it at them.

That's kinda what I figured.  I just wondered what everyone else was up to.  I mean, it's not a car battery, but still didn't think it should go into the ground. 

Thanks for the info.

Aentons

The next time you throw away a plastic container that you can't recycle just put it in there. It"ll be fine for 1000 years :)