News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Blue Box

Started by pickdropper, October 14, 2018, 05:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 14, 2018, 02:50:05 PM
Your gutshots kill and they kill every single time. 

Also: I don't know what hookup wire did to you--maybe it wronged you in a past life?--but you're definitely paying it back.  Never a wire in sight.

How did you do the graphics, anyway?  At first I thought laser etch, but after looking again now I'm not so sure.  Looks fantastic however you did it.

The hook-up wire is in there, it's just under the board.  Here is everything pre-wired before I dropped the board and pots in.  The four-wire ribbon at the bottom connects the footswitch to the board and the 2-wire ribbon at the top connects power to the board.

And it was laser etched.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ahiddentableau

Who do you think you're fooling?  That last picture is a forgery.  There is no hookup anywhere your builds.  Wire is just too sloppy for you.

Seriously, though, it's just amazing to me (and I'm sure to most everyone else) that you would design everything with the gutshots in mind.  Keeping the wires concealed like that, only soldering from the bottom of the boards...that's just another level of pedal OCD and it's kind of awesome to see.

matmosphere

Quote from: pickdropper on October 14, 2018, 07:18:25 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on October 14, 2018, 06:23:20 AM
What are your thoughts on the new doctor? I thought she was great, but time will tell.

I enjoyed the first episode, but it's always difficult to tell by the first episode after a changeover because they haven't shown the full personality and quirkiness of the doctor yet.  My initial impression is that she is a good cast and will be a good fit, but it really depends on how sharp the writing ends up being for her.  I felt that Capaldi had all the qualities as an actor to be an excellent doctor, but I felt many of his episodes were bogged down by Moffat's story arcs.  I did find it improved during his final season, however.  I believe the writing team is new to the series, so I am hoping they bring a bit of a fresh perspective.

I think she got to be a little more doctor like than the other modern doctors, perhaps with the exception of Matt Smith.

I really like Capaldi, but his first season was not the shows strongest. There was a few decent episodes, but I think they struggled to use Capaldi well until that last series, where he really shines. I'd take Mel over Clara any day, so that certainly helped. The whole Missy thing was great in my opinion.

I also liked that several times in the Capaldi years they seemed to reference the feel of the original series. That whole Robin Hood episode could have easily been the fourth doctor and Lela.

alanp

Helluva better than my thru-hole 1590A sea urchin!

Beautiful work, as usual!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

drog_trog

very neat build, hats off to you. I too thought it was the MXR pedal in an A. I thought damn, it must be bigger on the inside!

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 14, 2018, 08:36:04 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 14, 2018, 07:18:25 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on October 14, 2018, 06:23:20 AM
What are your thoughts on the new doctor? I thought she was great, but time will tell.

I enjoyed the first episode, but it's always difficult to tell by the first episode after a changeover because they haven't shown the full personality and quirkiness of the doctor yet.  My initial impression is that she is a good cast and will be a good fit, but it really depends on how sharp the writing ends up being for her.  I felt that Capaldi had all the qualities as an actor to be an excellent doctor, but I felt many of his episodes were bogged down by Moffat's story arcs.  I did find it improved during his final season, however.  I believe the writing team is new to the series, so I am hoping they bring a bit of a fresh perspective.

I think she got to be a little more doctor like than the other modern doctors, perhaps with the exception of Matt Smith.

I really like Capaldi, but his first season was not the shows strongest. There was a few decent episodes, but I think they struggled to use Capaldi well until that last series, where he really shines. I'd take Mel over Clara any day, so that certainly helped. The whole Missy thing was great in my opinion.

I also liked that several times in the Capaldi years they seemed to reference the feel of the original series. That whole Robin Hood episode could have easily been the fourth doctor and Lela.

That pretty much reflects my opinion as well.  I liked Bill more than Clara as well; she was just a much more interesting sidekick and the dynamic between her and the doctor seemed more natural.

And yeah, I agree that Missy was a good take on the Master.

I didn't get a chance to watch the second episode in the series yesterday, so I'm hoping to watch it tonight.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Btw, thanks for all the positive feedback, everybody.  I appreciate it.
Function f(x)

matmosphere

Caught the second episode last night. Nothing revolutionary but a solid episode. I think with some more time to develop the companions will be pretty good. It's strange to see such a big group, but hopefully they all get a little chance to shine.

Not sure I love the new Tardis though?

pickdropper

Quote from: Matmosphere on October 16, 2018, 08:24:38 AM
Caught the second episode last night. Nothing revolutionary but a solid episode. I think with some more time to develop the companions will be pretty good. It's strange to see such a big group, but hopefully they all get a little chance to shine.

Not sure I love the new Tardis though?

I watched the 2nd episode last night as well.  I like the new doctor, the new companions and I thought the story was decent.  Really not digging the filming style, though.  I hope that's not the way they are planning on shooting the whole series, but I suspect it is.  I'm still on the fence about the new Tardis.
Function f(x)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk