News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do I need a Moog?

Started by madbean, October 15, 2018, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I really kind of want the Behringer Model D. It's not expensive and I have a keyboard controller. My buddy Graham has one and likes it. But, I also really kind of want a Subsequent 37. Because it is badass. But, also expensive. I like the SubPhatty, too. I think I just want something Moog because well, reasons. Also, I think I want to build some synths down the line but much later.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gordo

Behringer is a lot cheaper so if you find you never use it beyond the honeymoon phase you can flip it with little loss.  Behringer build quality is really good these days too.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

I've been thinking about a model d as well. Hits affordable and sounds great. I'd much rather give Moog my money, but I can afford a model d with some planning and budgeting, probably not as true with Moog.

Strategy

Also look at a 2nd hand slim phatty, an older model but rock solid. Used ones on ebay and reverb are super reasonable. Like the Behringer clone, you'd need a MIDI keyboard to control it.

jjjimi84

Do i need 14 guitars? No. Do i need 7 amps? Nope. Do I need 80+ pedals with 60+ more to build? No.

But if I was to ask you "do i need a moog"?

You would say "hell yeah, you do"

So.....hell yeah you do, you deserve it.

Treat yo self

peAk

Moog's build quality is top notch. Out of all my synths, the Sub Phatty is just on another level. The keys, knobs, switches, just everything feels rock solid. Sort of makes other synths feel toy-ish.

That's said, if I hadn't already built a minimoog clone, I'd be all over that behringer. It's just too affordable to not get.

JakeFuzz

I've got a Behringer Model D. Its awesome. Its one of those things I can just sit and tweak knobs on for hours making ridiculous space laser sounds. You can definitely create some classic monophonic tones too. I've got a JP-08 too which covers those huge 80's movie synth chords. Both are small and really fun. I can recommend either depending on what you're going for.

alanp

Quote from: madbean on October 15, 2018, 05:23:11 PM
Also, I think I want to build some synths down the line but much later.

I am interested and wish to subscribe to your newsletter :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

dont-tase-me-bro

I have a few moogerfooger pedals - they are built like a tank.  It sucks how big they are, but they turn out a ridiculous product. 
I thought this would save me money.

skyled

Moog is great and all, but being able to play chords makes an amazing difference over the typical squeaks and squeals of most monosynths.

matmosphere

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on October 16, 2018, 04:33:40 AM
I have a few moogerfooger pedals - they are built like a tank.  It sucks how big they are, but they turn out a ridiculous product.

It's too bad that they stopped making Moogerfoogers recently. They are all incredible sounding pedals. I have the Ring Mod and it has by far the best tremolo sound I've ever used.

oip

check out the grandmother!  it sounds like drinking from a chocolate fountain

thesmokingman

I feel like this needs a snazzy and humorous visio flow chart where all eventual outcomes lead to yes
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX