Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do I need a Moog?

Started by madbean, October 15, 2018, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyled

Quote from: peAk on October 18, 2018, 04:49:47 AM
Quote from: skyled on October 17, 2018, 03:41:07 PM
Moog is great and all, but being able to play chords makes an amazing difference over the typical squeaks and squeals of most monosynths.

That's easily solved:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoogOne16--moog-one-16-voice-analog-synthesizer?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3248788352&rkg_id=0&product_id=MoogOne16&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Keyboards%20&%20Synthesizers&adgroup=Keyboards%20&%20Synthesizers%20-%20Synthesizers&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=217452498644&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7qYo83MubBU2efwD_XzoKGV4TUSGPVYGs4ne03PYZCKdlBvdOfULchoCwXAQAvD_BwE

Yes of course. Why spend $250 when you could spend $8k instead? Doing the math, you could buy 16 Behringer Model D's (at $250 which is what they go for used around here) for half the cost of the Moog One 16 voice. The obvious answer though is to buy the 16 Model D's and the Moog One.

gordo

^this is why we like new people around here...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Rockhorst

I still have a Crowminius board + faceplate waiting to be populated that I'm never going to get to...In case you're interested PM :) DIY is sorta your thing you know ;)

jim-analog (analogbros.com)

Greetings,

I heard about the "B" MM when it was first being discussed. Does anyone  know if they used thru hole or SMD? If it's thru hole, I think it would be a SUPER cool unit to mess with and modify. If SMD, not quite so much, but could still be neat to use as a sound generator depending on how well of a job "B" did.  I think it was going to have both MIDI and CV I/O, so a lot of interfacing possibilities are there.

I have a '74 MM and would really like to add a bunch of CV and other I/O to it, but it's worth way to much $ to mess with. I bought it really cheap in the mid '80s when there wasn't much demand for them and did a lot of refurb on it. It's a VERY cool mono-synth though, great, huge tones, a true classic.

So to answer your question, IMO if you're just getting into analog synths, the "B" could be an inexpensive way to see what you think of that world and perhaps mutate it into something even cooler.

Would like to hear opinions from anyone who bought one, particularly if you've used it as part of a larger modular/semi-modular system.

Regards, Jim

jimilee

Yes, the answer is always yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

The Behringer minimoog is SMD. I think I have a picture of the main PCB somewhere. It's an intimidating bit of layout work.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jim-analog (analogbros.com)

Greetings,

Thanks for that reply AlanP. Guess it (SMD, machine built) was the only way to hit the price point. That does make any hardware modification quite a bit more difficult. I guess it's still cool for the price, particularly when compared to a Moog if the sounds are decent. 

Regards, Jim