Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube distortion

Started by Ekimneets, October 15, 2018, 01:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

To borrow from one of Brian's earlier posts:

This build was poopy!

Of course some of this is PPPPPPP, Some of that was my stupid hands shaking and some came directly from Beelzebub himself.

I burned one of the capacitors soldering the pot on. I'm leaving it for now, it'll bother me enough eventually to where I'll fix it. I slipped while drilling one of the breathing holes, The cheapo graduated drill bit tore a chunk of the part of the graphics and also made the hole eccentric. I also could not make the wire behave for the life of me, it did it's own thing as you can see.

And when I say it fought me to the end, I mean just that. For whatever reason, it seems like the star ground is always the last thing I do and I had everything ready to solder and I broke off the main loop.

I do like the graphics and it sounds good. I also like the breathing whole design. I stole that from myself from an earlier build.

The good news is always is that I learned things Did I will implement in my process from now on.

Just looked at the pictures it also looks like I need some smaller knobs.

Please feel free to comment both good and bad. Constructive criticism is only going to help me get better.

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

ahiddentableau

Nice one, neets.  I like your design.  And if your pics are reasonably accurate I don't think you need to worry about your label problem.  I didn't see anything obvious when I gave it a lookover, so whatever the tear was it can't be that bad.

pickdropper

It looks good and some smaller knobs should go. The labels right up.

Nice build.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

Chassis color it too cool!  Looks almost like the satin car finishes.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ekimneets

Gordo, I fell in love with the color, it reminded me of numerous trips to London. which of course, was the entire point.

I forgot to mention that is is modified to run at either 9vdc or 12vdc.

That was another interesting thing. I initially purchased a pretty hefty 12vdc power supply from Jameco for over $15. It introduced a substantial amount of noise. I tried several others, all unacceptable. I eventually settled on an $8 one from Lawrence and it works beautifully. That's another lesson to my torpedos be damned approach to pedal building.

-Mike

alanp

Was the alignment of the stompswitch's nut intentional?

You can't tell from the photos that this build fought back at every turn -- it looks really, really good!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ekimneets

Yes, it was aligned on purpose.

Typo'd from my iphone

alanp

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 15, 2018, 05:56:37 PM
That was another interesting thing. I initially purchased a pretty hefty 12vdc power supply from Jameco for over $15. It introduced a substantial amount of noise. I tried several others, all unacceptable. I eventually settled on an $8 one from Lawrence and it works beautifully. That's another lesson to my torpedos be damned approach to pedal building.

I would be interested as to the topology of the PSU's. At a total guess, I'd say the hefty one was switchmode, and intended for digital circuits where a lot of current is needed, power line noise isn't too big a deal, that sort of thing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Ekimneets

I'm ignorant of these things but:

The Jameco is a class 2 and that's all I can see on the outside. I'll research it some more. I can't find anything on Lawrence's. Let me do a little research on it too.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

movinginslomo

In my experience the more "perfect" you intentionally stress about making something the more mistakes you end up making and freaking out about because you ruined it's "perfection". You can't have perfection at your first go, or second go, or even third go.

I bought a LP body off stratosphere and obsessed over it's "perfection". It already had flaws, (hence it's cheap price) and I scratched the finish around the toggle switch while totally trying to keep it "perfect". No prob added a poker chip. What is the the thin nitro doing now as I wear the guitar in? wearing off! I'm realizing I can't keep it perfect and it wasn't perfect to being with. So now I enjoy it more.

Ekimneets

Quote from: movinginslomo on October 19, 2018, 12:07:57 PM
In my experience the more "perfect" you intentionally stress about making something the more mistakes you end up making and freaking out about because you ruined it's "perfection". You can't have perfection at your first go, or second go, or even third go.

I bought a LP body off stratosphere and obsessed over it's "perfection". It already had flaws, (hence it's cheap price) and I scratched the finish around the toggle switch while totally trying to keep it "perfect". No prob added a poker chip. What is the the thin nitro doing now as I wear the guitar in? wearing off! I'm realizing I can't keep it perfect and it wasn't perfect to being with. So now I enjoy it more.
I think my problem is that I was in a career where the only acceptable for anything was perfection. I did that for over a decade.

It's no easy thing to shakeoff, but I agree with you that I'm probably forcing things.

-m

Typo'd from my iphone