News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic multi effect

Started by stevie1556, October 20, 2018, 02:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

If it's not board mounted, I stick the vero/pcb to the enclosures or pots with double sided foam tape.

gordo

+1 on the Sugru.  Pretty amazing stuff.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stevie1556

Small update - the boards have arrived, kinda. Unfortunately I got a card yesterday to say that they have been hit by customs. I tried to pay the fee online yesterday but they then can't delivery it until Tuesday, so I'll take a trip to the post office tomorrow to go pick it up.

Enclosure update - the new enclosure has arrived. I'm not entirely sure it will allow for board mounted pots, I'll wait until tomorrow to see (I was about to make some paper cut outs of the board sizes to measure up to the enclosure).

Willybomb, send me a PM with your address and I'll post one out to you!

The issue with finding those board holders here is that I can only think of one shop that would sell them but they went bust unfortunately. I was thinking about using those double sided sticky pads (generally use them in the 1590A builds), but I'm worried about the back of the board shorting out against the enclosure. That Sugro stuff, I remember reading about it several years ago and completely forgot about it, thanks for reminding me :)

Willybomb

If you're looking for names, I would probably call it the Acoustibeast.  But that's just me.

stevie1556

Willybomb, I'll get the board in the post tomorrow for you!

I've finally had a spare bit of time today and done some playing around.

The boards look great, can't wait to get them all built up! If anyone wants the 3 SMD soldering test boards from the Dreamtime then give me a shout as I don't have any use for them.

There isn't anyway I can use board mounted pots in the 1032L enclosure. If the boards are mounted on their sides, they just about fit along the side of the enclosure (but then that could interfere with the pot placement, and placing them too close to the foot switches). So that leaves the looper enclosure. The bonus is that it's 5cm longer, which is a massive bonus for space, but there is a ridge that is used to secure the end plates that run the length of the enclosure that could get it the way, may need to use the Dremmel to trim that down. Its also quite tight in getting the board and foot switch mounted with enough space between them, so my measuring and drilling will need to be 100% perfect.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

stevie1556

Got my first bit of work done on the boards today! Got all the resistors, diodes and ceramic capacitors fitted, apart from one ceramic capacitor as I can't seem to find that value in the components that I ordered.  Genuinely forgot how much fun building a pedal is when you're not building for someone else, I can't even remember the last time I built one for myself.

Unfortunately work is going to get in the way of doing some more soldering on them tomorrow, so hoping to get all the capacitors soldered on Saturday if work decide not to call me in, otherwise they will have to wait until Monday.

Willybomb

So, what enclosure are you going with?  I'd love to build a flyrig of some sort, but the looper enclosures aren't deep enough for my liking.  I've looked (briefly, shallowly) at cable channel, but what's stuff you've got in the last photo?

stevie1556

Quote from: Willybomb on November 23, 2018, 02:07:38 AM
So, what enclosure are you going with?  I'd love to build a flyrig of some sort, but the looper enclosures aren't deep enough for my liking.  I've looked (briefly, shallowly) at cable channel, but what's stuff you've got in the last photo?

The 1032L was my first choice, as it's diecast aluminium and the type of enclosure that I'm used to, but the boards didn't really fit inside it. So I've gone for a aluminium looper enclosure. Its slightly shallower, I've just put them side by side, and probably only about 7 or 8mm shallower at a rough guess. The big advantage is that the looper enclosure ends come off and the bottom panel slides off, and with it being 15mm wider, it provides a lot more space inside it.

Here is a link to the one that I've ordered https://www.musikding.de/Looper-enclosure-30cm

I did also get the miniature electro capacitors for it just in case, but even with normal size ones they would fit easily.

stevie1556

Little update, today has been rather productive, managed to get to the cinema before my on call time with work started, had lunch with my friend as well. Still hadn't been called to go into work by the time i got home so I managed to solder up the remaining parts on the boards! Managed to miss 5 capacitors on the part orders that I did so just ordered them and will solder them when they arrive.

Below is a picture of the (nearly completed) builds. A few other boards of what I've been slowly working on as well. One of the white boards is fully built but I'm currently trying to troubleshoot it.

Going to start working on the label design for it in the next few days. Is starting to come together quite quickly considering how slow all my other builds go.

gordo

Lookin good.  I don't think I've ever ordered parts for a build without forgetting at least one thing.  Nice to know it happens to others :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stevie1556

You saying that has made me feel a little bit better about it now!

Ordered some bits from Tayda, ordered the other bits from Small Bear for the multi effect. While doing that I forgot to order the parts for the 3 Dreamtime boards that I got so I had to places a 2nd order at Small Bear for those parts, then had to place a 3rd order with them for the jacks! Thankfully they noticed what I did with the jacks, bundled them into the 2nd package and gave me a $16 refund on the postage. I was wondering why I had a refund from them until the package turned up. I swear on these 2 builds I've spent more okkn postage then on components!

Marshall Arts

Quote from: stevie1556 on November 23, 2018, 03:23:41 AM

Quote from: Willybomb on November 23, 2018, 02:07:38 AM

The 1032L was my first choice, as it's diecast aluminium and the type of enclosure that I'm used to, but the boards didn't really fit inside it. So I've gone for a aluminium looper enclosure. Its slightly shallower, I've just put them side by side, and probably only about 7 or 8mm shallower at a rough guess. The big advantage is that the looper enclosure ends come off and the bottom panel slides off, and with it being 15mm wider, it provides a lot more space inside it.

Here is a link to the one that I've ordered https://www.musikding.de/Looper-enclosure-30cm

I did also get the miniature electro capacitors for it just in case, but even with normal size ones they would fit easily.

The Musikding enclosure is a cable channel by a company called Rose & Krieger. I mailed the distributor in the US, if they deliver small cut offs (e.g. 60 cm), but no reply so far.

Any other source in the US for something comparable would be great (as I am re-designing my Linda Looper and could share it with the US guys...)

stevie1556

Marshall Arts - if it helps, I don't mind posting one to you if you can't find an alternative (you should be able to though). Only thing is, it wouldn't be cheap on the postage I imagine. It was €9 euros postage to ship each enclosure to the UK from them.

Little update, the missing parts have arrived! However, I've found the ceramic cap that I was missing in one of my component bags, so I'm guessing I've got the film caps someone as well maybe.

Question for the people that use acoustic boards, is it worth incorporating a switchable buffer into it? Only reason I ask is a couple of years ago I designed a buffer using Beans Cornholio schematic, and made the mistake of ordering the boards after being up for work at 4am for 5 days in a row and ended up ordering 200 of them. I'm sure you can imagine that I have more then a few boards spare!

Marshall Arts

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was thinking of the guys in the US... I live in Germany, so I don't have problems ordering the enclosure myself.

On the buffer question. Yes, almost always better :-)

stevie1556

No worries about that. I think it was good as finding decent looper style closures is hard, especially in the UK, and if it benefits others it's always worth sharing :)

I'm thinking about putting the buffer on a switch just in case it's not wanted sometimes (my guitar teaching friend does a lot of acoustic work).

Going to start working in the enclosure in the next few days, doing the label and drilling template, depending how long that takes, I maybe able to get the enclosure powder coated on Tuesday, otherwise it's going to have to wait until the following week.