News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This works, I guess

Started by madbean, October 21, 2018, 08:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Don't know if it saves much time but it produces pretty consistent results.

jubal81

Pretty slick indeed. I'll have to give this a try.

I've been tack soldering my resistors on the top. Doesn't take all that long. Still using the blue putty to hold caps, though.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Aentons

I just bend them over and cut them short after they are soldered. Is that a bad/rookie way to do it?

EBK

I just use an index card (or something similar) to temporarily hold my parts while I invert the board onto my work surface. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Ekimneets

That's similar to what I do.

Once I get my resistors in place I take blue painters tape and cover the entire board to protect the resistors.

Then I take a sheet of blue tack and press it down very firmly on top.

Then take it out of the vice and carefully turn it over.

Then I press it down on my work table.

I then start soldering what is accessible and bend the leads over is I'm going.

You can do an entire board that way.

Work great.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

somnif

I use scotch tape to hold resistors/diodes in place. Then, bluetak for the caps.

Rockhorst

I just bend all the leads flat to the board these days, clip 'em and solder in place. The exception is parts that I expect might be swapped out later (mods and stuff). I've seen that used on professional board dozens of times, so thought "why not". But this is probably equally fast.

jimilee

Holy hell man, I've been building for 5 years and this is the first time I've ever seen this or anything like it. Got any more incredible helpful information that has never been mentioned before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Ekimneets

Quote from: jimilee on October 21, 2018, 12:48:59 PM
Holy hell man, I've been building for 5 years and this is the first time I've ever seen this or anything like it. Got any more incredible helpful information that has never been mentioned before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about this the other day.

Some ppl like to twist their wires and it's hard to get it perfect by hand.

If you want it perfect then chuck up the ends of your wires. Then hold the other end and go slow to medium.

You will have perfectly twisted wires.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone

EBK

Quote from: jimilee on October 21, 2018, 12:48:59 PM
The most major holy hell awesome tool reveals I've experienced while building over the past few years have been step drill bits, flush cutters, blue tack, and the automatic center punch.  You can do some fun stuff with JB Weld too (like filling misplaced drill holes and making donuts).  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

sjaustin

Aven 17010 Adjustable Circuit Board Holder: best $12 my sister ever spent on me.

gordo

Mmmmm, donuts....

Where did you get the cool nippers?  I assume you hold them underhand so you cut the leads pointing up?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ekimneets

Quote from: Aentons on October 21, 2018, 10:55:04 AM
I just bend them over and cut them short after they are soldered. Is that a bad/rookie way to do it?
Nothing wrong with that all, I still use that method at times. It's more about what works for you.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

Ekimneets

This may only be germaine to me, but I've got a tremor and it's not uncommon for me to get a little happy w/the solder and fill up an adjacent hole.

I've got a super sucker and copper ribbon. Honestly, what works best is to ream it out with a PCB drill.

Allrght, I can see you cringing.

I take some precautions. Obviously the OD of the drill needs to be less than that of the hole. You need to be somewhat centered and it helps if the filled up hole you're working with is a little concave.

I just get myself into trouble often and have had to learn to get myself out of it.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

pickdropper

Quote from: Aentons on October 21, 2018, 10:55:04 AM

That's actually the more mechanically reliable way to do it.  You can always get a job soldering parts for NASA if you get tired of building pedals.  ;-)

The only downside is that the parts are a bit harder to remove if you need to rework them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper