News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EZdrummer users: what Midi packs do you like?

Started by culturejam, October 22, 2018, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahiddentableau

Quote from: jjjimi84 on October 23, 2018, 09:52:59 PM

I usually choose the groove and do a little editing in the ezdrummer vst and then drag it over to reaper and can further edit it. In reaper you can remove/alter/increase and decrease velocity of every hit.

If I am not mistaken in reaper there is even a humanize function for midi.

I hope this answers your question.

Actually, it was pretty helpful.  Thanks.  Painstaking manual movement of individual midi events is how I have always done it, too.  And it works.  It's just really horrible to do.  I took a look at the humanize function in Reaper and at first I thought it was just the same old thing, but it has that last slider lets you bias the timing randomization towards early or late hits.  I've never seen that before, and it's getting close to what I was talking about.  I'm still using an old DAW and it doesn't have that feature. 

The problem is that you can't control that bias for each hit (or at least if you can I didn't see it in the tutorial I used).  That's what I really want.  And there are no preset patterns that approximate basic types of drum grooves.  And it seems to me that there should be--a lot of styles have established patterns of early/late bias for particular parts.  So it's close but no cigar.

culturejam

Wow, some great stuff posted here. Thanks!  I got tied up with work/family stuff and wasn't checking in here as much.

As an updated, I also bought the Doom Metal pack from It Might Get Loud: https://www.itmightgetloud.org/product/doom-metal-essentials-midi-pack/

It's a nice selection of grooves that just might do the trick.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Rockhorst

(one thing to note by the way is that Toontrack has a sale basically...permanently. They should just reduce their prices :P )

stringsthings

Kind of Off-Topic:

what about old school mic'ing up the snare with a SM57 and layering on top?
I can't get enough of the way we did it back in the days of magnetic tape.
All You Need Is Love

peAk

ahiddentableau

Quote from: peAk on October 30, 2018, 06:22:30 AM
I like doing this:

https://ask.audio/articles/superior-drummer-3-regroover-awesome

That's just fantastic stuff!  It's got to be one of the most helpful things I've seen in years.  Thanks Peak!

Rockhorst

So now, in November, there's a 35% off sale. Permanent sales are a real quirkie thing I have to say. If you bought something in October...you'd feel ripped off right now, right? (though I'm really tempted to bite this time).