News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Desoldering station suggestions anyone?

Started by Rockhorst, October 25, 2018, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

I'm getting more and more tired of using braid and a sucker. I think my (repair) work would really benefit from a dedicated desoldering station. I'm guessing the heat stress on components would also be a lot less. These things seems to be quite expensive though (much more expensive than a reasonable soldering iron). Any suggestions, cheap (but good) stuff or expensive? Preferably something that is easy to get in Europe. What should I look out for? Features, things to consider for trough hole vs smd etc. I also use both leaded and lead free stuff. I have two separate irons for that, does one need to different suckers?

madbean

Hakko FR300 is what I use every day. Requires pretty regular cleaning but otherwise a great unit.

EBRAddict

I bought a used 1990s PACE unit with an iron and desoldering vacuum/iron. I forgot what it cost. Like bean said you have to clean it after you use it.

Rockhorst

I hate the mess cleaning pumps make...sigh...

cajone5

Not to hijack, but why separate irons for different solders?

Rockhorst

So the lead doesn't contaminate the lead free joint. Reduces the risk of cold joints, cracking etc. You could just switch tips between jobs (after the iron cools down) but that's a hassle in itself and a replacement iron for my station is pretty cheap.

pickdropper

Quote from: Rockhorst on October 25, 2018, 06:54:23 PM
So the lead doesn't contaminate the lead free joint. Reduces the risk of cold joints, cracking etc. You could just switch tips between jobs (after the iron cools down) but that's a hassle in itself and a replacement iron for my station is pretty cheap.

Yeah, I use separate tips as well.  I have two soldering stations, but both can hot swap tips easily, so I don't have to dedicate a station by solder type.

Man, that lead-free solder eats tips, though.  I've gone through 4 tips with lead-free while still on the same leaded tip.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

skyled

I have a desoldering gun. Iron and pump in one gun shaped device. Cheap and works fantastic. I think I got mine for about $90 from ebay. Just make sure you get one that works on the correct voltage.
I'm pretty sure it's this exact model, except not Polish:
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/AOYUE-8800-Handheld-Electric-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Gun-Desoldering-Gun-Soldering-Station-for-AOYUE/32352102280.html

Rockhorst

Quote from: pickdropper on October 25, 2018, 07:26:24 PM
Man, that lead-free solder eats tips, though.  I've gone through 4 tips with lead-free while still on the same leaded tip.

I've started using Felder Iso-Core Si100Ni+ a while ago. You should give it a try. It's very easy to work with and the joint looks just like a leaded one. Nice flow and reliable joint. It does wear the tip faster than leaded but that's mostly due to me not cleaning the tip enough during a job.

What do you use to desolder SMD stuff? Especially on ICs I always lift half of the pads  :-[

pickdropper

Quote from: Rockhorst on October 26, 2018, 02:34:12 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 25, 2018, 07:26:24 PM

I've started using Felder Iso-Core Si100Ni+ a while ago. You should give it a try. It's very easy to work with and the joint looks just like a leaded one. Nice flow and reliable joint. It does wear the tip faster than leaded but that's mostly due to me not cleaning the tip enough during a job.

What do you use to desolder SMD stuff? Especially on ICs I always lift half of the pads  :-[

I'll look into the Fender solder.  I've got some newer Kester lead-free that flows smoothly and makes a nice joint.  Still eats tips, though.  The most recent tip lasted me a month.  I've been soldering like a mad fool lately, so that may have something to do with it.

For SMT rework, I usually use the Metcal tweezers.  I have a pointed tips for removing two pad passives and I have blade sets for removing bigger things with more pads.  I use these for through-hole ICs as well.  It wouldn't work for BGAs or anything that has pads on four sides, but I can't remember the last time I've needed to do that.  For anything like that, an infared rework station is generally best, but I don't own one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on October 25, 2018, 04:57:39 PM
Hakko FR300 is what I use every day. Requires pretty regular cleaning but otherwise a great unit.

Me, too. Not cheap, but it's the tits for through-hole rework.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Be aware that desoldering stations are not shoe-string affairs, though. Even the FR300 is going to be spendy, to get a new one.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Shaggy45

For those not wanting to throw down the money on a gun I highly recommend this solder sucker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MJMXD4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It has a flexible tip and comes with tubing to make more. It works so much better than the plastic blue ones.