News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad Medicine fuzz - daddy/daughter collaborative project

Started by Bret608, October 26, 2018, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

This build report is for the Bad Medicine fuzz, jubal81's excellent take on the modded silicon Tonebenders we all know and love. It sounds great! Quite easy to get MkI and MkII-type sounds, and I've built Ge versions of both of those, so trust me on this one...thanks again for PIF'ing the PCB, m' dude! By the way, I went with the transistor selection that juansolo and Cleggy suggested for Hot Chilicon builds (Q1 & 2-2n3904; Q3-2n2222a; Q4-2n5088).

Anyway, I collaborated with both of my two daughters on this build. My older one did the graphics for me, inspired by the Tokyo Ghoul manga series. She uses a program called Clip Studio that is more or less specific to Manga and Anime genres. All I had to do was walk it over to Illustrator and lay out the labels. My younger daughter made me a really cool storage bag for it in her Maker Space club at school. It is cute! You'll see it in the picture with the pedal interior. This was my first time using a bare metal look and I like it a lot--I just lightly sanded it to get that slightly industrial look.

EBK

Awesome!  How old are your kids?

I'm going to definitely ask my daughter if she wants to help me on more builds, especially the enclosures, but perhaps some soldering a few years down the road (she's almost 7).  I also have a 3-year-old son who may eventually take an interest (or not -- totally up to him). 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

A rock sock!  Very nice.  I really like the font choice on that one.  Very stark to match the rest of the look.  Sweet build and team efforts are so much more rewarding.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TGP39

Fantastic family effort.  I love the rock sock!  True talent everywhere in your house.

-Steve. 
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Bret608

Thanks for the kind words! EBK, they are 14 and 12. Gordo, I was really happy with finding that font. It nails that "police file" look they have in the first couple of pages of the TG books.

They are also tickled by the term "rock sock"! It's a new one for me but I get it.  :)

jubal81

Daaaang. THat looks like it came out of a commercial operation. Very impressive stuff.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Leevibe

Beautiful work! The sanding gives the top a fabric look. Really cool. Also cool is collaborating with your daughters! You win all the points.

Bret608

@ jubal81: Thanks! I was really just trying to channel you and juansolo, to the extent I'm able. Felt good to stretch myself a bit here. Also, forgot to mention that 1) the Lumen is awesome and 2) thanks to your thoughtful design tweaks on the power supply filtering and circuit input (that small cap to ground), I've finally succeeded in building a silicon fuzz that does not pick up the radio. Cheers!

@ Leevibe: You're right, it does kind of look like fabric! I hadn't thought of it, but it does sort of give it this hazy/gauzy look, which was intentional.