News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Infield strings - I'm a convert

Started by jubal81, October 26, 2018, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Finally settled on D'Addario about a decade ago, but got intrigued when I saw Infield strings and the first set has won me over.
Smoother feel and bends feel more natural and in tune. 10s almost feel like 9s. Good tuning stability and sound great.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Rockhorst

Never heard of these. How did you stumble across them?

As a side note, I do love D'Addario myself, especially now that they sell 'in between' sets. 9.5 is ideal on a strat in E standard IMO. And then every half step down tuning gets half a step heavier strings. Works out pretty nicely.

Leevibe

I'll have to give them a try. I tried them on my acoustic a few years ago and they didn't work for me at all. They were just too dead sounding. I'm kind of intrigued though for electric.

Aristatertotle

I know people are pretty into their flatwounds for bass. I've never ponied up the dough to buy a set, as they're like $78.

Might have to give those a try as well. I've been using d'addarios for awhile too and have thought about switching it up.

ahiddentableau

I've often wondered about Infields.  How's string tension?  I like lower tension and find a significant difference between brands.

EBK

Call me lazy, but I haven't looked it up:  what is objectively different about these?  Different alloy (seems most likely from that trademark on the package)? Different geometry? Something else?  Just curious.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jubal81

Lots of questions, whew.

I was searching for something else on TDPRI and saw someone taking about them. Not sure what the difference is in construction, but the company get a lot of love for bass guitar strings, and strings for orchestra instruments.
The best I can describe them is they're like D'Addarios, but playing feels easier and more in tune. Borrowing from my pedal-building vocabulary, bends sound like they have a more linear response. Don't know any better way to describe it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lars

If you're trying to find dealers for these, look up Thomastik. That's what they're better known under.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

timbo_93631

Will have to check them out, need to explore new options.  I've been pretty stuck on SIT Powerwound Nickel 11-50's for most of my guitars, but it seems like the wrap on the ball ends of the treble strings can have a little barb that can hang up inside the bridge/tailpiece.  It has been like every other set I buy one string will have it.  Their rock-n-roll 9's and their 10's have been my go-to strings for setups and repairs, for a few years now.   

I bit the bullet on some Gabriel Tenorio strings for my reverse Telemaster awhile back, man, whole different ballpark quality wise there, but a whole different ballpark pricewise too...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jubal81

It's been about 4 1/2 months and these are still going strong. Tuning needs very little adjustment whenever I pick up my guitar and sounds great. Gonna change them out and clean up my guitar just out of boredom, but no other reason to take these off after all this time.

Dang. Impressed.
- David Fair

zombiesonore

Just installed a set of "IN111" (.011 - .052) on my Jaguar and I think they are great!
Thanks for the tip.

EBK

I just threw a set of IN109 into my Amazon cart for later.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timko

Cool!  I'm always interested in trying some new strings.

I've been an NYXL user for 4ish years (10-46s on most full scale guitars, 10-52s on my Gretsches, and 11-56s on my Jaguar), but I've been trying to do bends lately on the first few frets of some guitars and have to exert way too much pressure.  NYXLs have great sustain and hold tune great, but bending anything before fret 5 is a chore.

EBK

Just received a set of Infeld strings yesterday, and I plan to install them tonight.  At the last minute I changed my mind about the gauge and bought 10s instead of 9s.  Since I would expect heavier strings to sound more full and louder than what I had been using anyway, I suppose I've already severely flawed my test.   :P

Timko

11-56's or bust!!

Edit:  These are for drop tuning?!  Whoops.  I've been using these on my Jag for like a year.