Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eoo3: Programmable Looper/Switcher/Midi Controller

Started by Marshall Arts, November 01, 2018, 01:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gordo on March 18, 2019, 07:09:05 AM
Oh man I need this...

I ordered new PCBs today (Relay Board and Jack PCBs). The relay board is simplified (no more jumpers) and will hopefully work better. The jack PCBs have larger holes, so the jacks will be easier to mount. Another few weeks, but it's worth the wait.

Looking forward to see you guys put this together. It's offboard madness - crimping part of the components helps, but still... a crazy amount of cable cutting, stripping,... plus the amount of work for the enclosure including a square hole for the display, the 17 momentary switches, 12 relays, 13 jacks, mounting the PCBs with screws (I even did some threading). Building it is more like building an amp than a stompbox. And when you're done, you can dive into eeprom configuration (it's absolutely doable, not really programming), if you're not happy with the default configuration.

You have been warned. Hopefully, you guys will still communicate with me after this ;-)

gordo

I'm totally on board with this.  I was the only guitar player this weekend and had to jump in and out of delayed lead parts and rhythm parts with corresponding channel changes and tails (similar problem to playing the Limelight solo by Rush with one guitar) and brought the possibilities of this project front and center.  My setup is usually dead simple (although I use an fx loop and channel switching) but would be nice to be able to automate. 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gordo on March 18, 2019, 02:00:02 PM
I'm totally on board with this.  I was the only guitar player this weekend and had to jump in and out of delayed lead parts and rhythm parts with corresponding channel changes and tails (similar problem to playing the Limelight solo by Rush with one guitar) and brought the possibilities of this project front and center.  My setup is usually dead simple (although I use an fx loop and channel switching) but would be nice to be able to automate.

I feel your pain, seems like we have similar setups. I usually get away with few effects (boost, drive, chorus, delay, reverb) an I never seem to change their pots. I need amp channel switching, though. And I also need the fx loop for the time based effects. I usually get away with 6-7 sounds for a show, so one bank might indeed be enough for me. I will use the other banks for other environments (acoustic guitar, recording just with my HX stomp, using another amp ...).

For the spillover, I have some not so good news. It's not as bad as it sounds, but is something worth knowing before starting to work on this.

Marshall Arts

gordo

Quote from: Marshall Arts on March 23, 2019, 01:56:37 AM
I feel your pain, seems like we have similar setups.
Sounds like it.  I've been using this little 6505mh lately (in a church!!!) and the sound is just so killer that I'm finding that I just need 'more/different/compression/univibe' at the front end and then 'modulation/delay/reverb' in the loop.  Channel switching is limited to Clean/Crunch and every now and then Lead.  Normally it's pretty straight forward but from time to time it's a bit of tap dancing.  I was using a JMK Epic Looper for Midi and a Yamaha Acoustic stomp or Amp stomp as a fly rig depending on what I was playing till I managed to blow up the Epic (trying to retrofit into a chunk of the cool enclosure you're using).  Normally I don't use Midi in my live rig but might have to rethink the whole thing when you release this.  I'm feeling another rabbit hole presenting itself...

For the spillover, I have some not so good news. It's not as bad as it sounds, but is something worth knowing before starting to work on this.
In my case it would be well worth the effort.  And why make things simple  :D
Gordy Power

Marshall Arts

Seems like I will need to build a smaller board. Power supply (top right), patchbox (top left) and the separate power supply for the HX stomp (9V, 3 A is too much for the palmer power brick) will go below the Helicon, the King of tone and the HX...

Still waiting for the Relay PCBs and writing on documentation.

nzCdog

Marshall Arts

Nothing but good news today:

The new relay board arrived and it's working perfectly:

While soldering it in, I discovered a cold solder joint in the mute-while-switching-block. Fixed it, now there is only a little, totally acceptable pop noise when switching EVEN IN SPILLOVER MODE in loops 7 and 8.

So, it's almost done. I would love to add a mute function for tuning to one of the loop buttons (activated when held down, deactivated with another press). Also have to write the documentation, which will not only be a build guide, but also a user guide.

For those keen on boards, I can promise you, that the boards (a set of 6 boards for one looper) will be up for sale latest on 20th of April. I will let you know in this thread.

artstomp

I definitely will grab a set of the Eoo3 boards!...i noticed the 5v relays used are different from Linda.

jjjimi84

Count me in for a set of boards, this is awesome.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: artstomp on April 04, 2019, 03:06:44 PM
I definitely will grab a set of the Eoo3 boards!...i noticed the 5v relays used are different from Linda.
Correct... No specific reason for that, though. I use these smaller relays in small enclosures and they save some space on these PCBs as well. They aren't more pricey, so I use these for the Eoo3 now.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: gordo on February 23, 2019, 05:41:53 PM
I'll go thru my paperwork.  It was a lot of detective work and it was sold as wire channel for high end modular furniture.  Cost me a fortune but is very cool.  I suspect if a bunch of us bought it the price might be more reasonable.

Gordo... Did you find your source for the cable channel? I would include that in the documentation, if possible...

Thanks!

BaklavaMetal

Great work!
I'm at the beginning of a similar project, will probably steal some of your ideas :)
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!
That is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTgvtQTEZ4&list=UUu0WQ4lkQv4LQS0n-AWCGTQ

gordo

Quote from: Marshall Arts on April 05, 2019, 07:56:37 AM
Gordo... Did you find your source for the cable channel? I would include that in the documentation, if possible...

Major brain fade.  I'm sure I kept the paperwork.  I'll dig thru my files over the weekend and see what I can come up with.
Gordy Power

gordo

Easier than I thought:

Phoenix Mecano Inc.
7330 Executive Way
Frederick, Maryland 21704
USA

Contact Us: 301-696-9411
PMinfo@pm-usa.com

Here's what I ordered:

4E25000.1000 $44.91 KK-80x40 CABLE CHANNEL PROFILE 1000mm LENGTH, NO FIXING HOLES
4E25501 $22.90 END COVER PLATE FOR KK 80X40 EXTRUSION QTY 6 PIECES/SET
4E16501 $5.21 SELF TAPPING SCREWS ISO 7049 ST 3.5x9.5 mm FORM F FOR KK 80X40 EXTRUSION, QTY 12/SET
FEDEX FRT $23.76 FEDEXPKG 11/06/15
Gordy Power