News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NOD - New Oscilloscope Day

Started by m-Kresol, November 02, 2018, 07:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

So this landed today, going to have a lot of fun:

Got a good deal for it. Unused, original packaging for almost 50% off second hand. the guy who bought it, did not use it after all. Capable of up to 50 MHz (way too much for what we do), 2 channels, can add/substract and so forth, FFT and some other bits and bobs I will hardly use.

The image is a "sine" wave btw. from the output of a XR 2206 function generator chip when underpowered (input voltage to the chip around 6V. should be around 10V)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

drog_trog

cool. you've just reminded me I must fix mine.

stringsthings

Nice find!  Tektronix has a stellar rep!
All You Need Is Love

pickdropper

That's a really nice scope.  You should have fun with it.

I have a Chinese scope and I'm thinking of ditching it for something like this.  These Teks are a good balance of form factor and capability.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Hot! I remember when I bought my Tenma 50Mhz scope from Farnell,  an old Technician mate of mine was visibily disappointed when he found out, and asked why I didn't get a Tektronix... Lol!

Well you got a Tektronix, Felix!  Wool! ;D

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bio77

That's killer!  I have an old analog Tektronix and it works great. 

Incidentally, I haven't had much luck with either the cheap function generators on Amazon or the XR 2206 I built.  I'm using an app on my phone called Audio Function Generator PRO, think it was < 3 bucks.  I made a headphone jack to 1/4 inch patch cable using one of the many broken head phones at my house (damn kids!).

cooder

Very nice one there! Great score! I wouldn't mind one myself to complement my old school analog scope...

On a side note: any recommendations for a reliable XR 2206 source? I had ordered two from different sellers on ebay, one was good the other a dud. Problem is I don't remember which seller was the dud one as they came both at the same time. I tested them with my cheapie function generator based on XR 2206 chip into old school analog scope.
As I need a few more XR2206 seller recommendations would be much appreciated!
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

i ordered some from job-electronik.de. all of them were fakes and I got my money back. I bought 2 from Reichelt now and those are good. but 5€/piece is quite a lot for an IC. I'm also interested in a reliable source.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

stringsthings

Quote from: Bio77 on November 02, 2018, 01:54:27 PM

That's killer!  I have an old analog Tektronix and it works great. 

I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous!~    8)
All You Need Is Love

cooder

Quote from: m-Kresol on November 03, 2018, 03:23:51 AM
i ordered some from job-electronik.de. all of them were fakes and I got my money back. I bought 2 from Reichelt now and those are good. but 5€/piece is quite a lot for an IC. I'm also interested in a reliable source.
Well I will let you know if I find a source, just contacted another ebay seller who also sells the function generators based on that chip, so will see if they can assure me that they work.
Also I had one from Tayda that worked, but they have the chip currently not in stock (for awhile now), probably also the problem of sourcing genuine stuff. Or just general slackness restocking as they are out of a bunch of things I'm looking for...
BigNoise Amplification

EBRAddict

Nice score. If I could I would have all my bench equipment made by Tektronix and Keysight/HP... if money were no object.

reddesert

I bought a few ICL8038 function generator chips on ebay and they work. I have even made a synth VCO with one. It's not a direct replacement for the XR 2206 but you can find function gen circults that use the ICL8038.

I was leery of buying these as it broke my rule of "don't buy formerly out of production parts on ebay," but there are some current production ICL8038 generator kits on import from Asia, so I thought they might not be duds, and they're not. I'm not sure if they would meet every spec of the originals, but for an audio application they seem to work.

stringsthings

Quote from: reddesert on November 03, 2018, 11:51:21 PM
I bought a few ICL8038 function generator chips on ebay and they work. I have even made a synth VCO with one. It's not a direct replacement for the XR 2206 but you can find function gen circults that use the ICL8038.

I was leery of buying these as it broke my rule of "don't buy formerly out of production parts on ebay," but there are some current production ICL8038 generator kits on import from Asia, so I thought they might not be duds, and they're not. I'm not sure if they would meet every spec of the originals, but for an audio application they seem to work.

Nice.
All You Need Is Love

stecykmi

nice scope, i'm pretty sure i used that model or similar in university. fft mode can be really interesting! try looking at a signal before and after a distortion to see all the additional harmonics that are added.