News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fear of the ground loop (Morley ABY MIX style)

Started by JackSkellington, November 03, 2018, 05:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hello. I want to build a ABY looper for a friend. He wanted a Morley ABY Mix, but he would to do a thing that the Morley can't do, sometime to send both the input in one of the output, I guess I can do it.

But my fear is the ground loop that the looper can get using two amps. Also the original has this problem.
I didn't know it but this problem can be solved with an accessory, a sort of plug.

I wonder, what I can do to avoid this problem with this looper I'm going to build?

Thanks!
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

woolie

Transform isolated switcher should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JackSkellington

I don't know anything about this, it's the first time I hear. Can somebody show me something more?

woolie

Quote from: JackSkellington on November 03, 2018, 02:13:16 PM
I don't know anything about this, it's the first time I hear. Can somebody show me something more?

http://geofex.com/FX_images/humfree2.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JackSkellington

Thanks, I'll search some info for my own and I'll try to understand how it works.
Perhaps, I could need some help for the final project, I hope I can count on you in case, guys.

Update: Ok, I just found something useful, like this layout:

Original schematic by R.G Keen and layout by Matt Rabe.

This seems really good for my purpose, but I have just a problem. Now start the hard part, so pay attention, please. I'l try to explain.

This one schematic includes just one input, the Morley ABY Mix has two input but they joined, indeed I guess the two input convey both, after their own boost, through the switches and go out in the two output, (following the switching method we can use Output A or Output B or both or none.)

So, looking at the Morley the mod is that my friend get two signals, clean and distorted, and want to keep them separated. So I thought I can simply let the tow signals separated:
Clean -> [ Input A -> Boost A -> Output A ] Amp 1
Distortion -> [ Input B - > Boost B -> Output B ] Amp 2
There is the case when my friend have to use just the Amp 1, I tought to include a toggle switch to join the distortion signal from the Output B tip to the Output A tip, and get both the signals, clean and distorted, in the Amp 1.

But, with the Hume Free that receive just one input I don't know how keep the two signal separated.

Thanks for the help!

JackSkellington

Bump, I need some help, please. :)
I hope is clear enough what is the problem.

Thanks!

JackSkellington

Meanwhile, I found this project:
http://byocelectronics.com/ampselectorinstructions.pdf
This has two input :), but I have to find out if I can send the two inputs both in one amp, or if it's impossible to join the two sources.