News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedalboard pre-viz

Started by madbean, October 31, 2018, 07:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'm going to get my crap together and get the pedalboard final form together before the end of the year. I might have a new record to work on with the band in 2019 and I want to have this sorted well before going into the studio. I think I will just build my own p/b to get it exactly the right size. Here's what I'm looking at

1 - Two tiers where all the "set and forget" pedals are partially underneath the elevated tier. All the gray pedals are DIY builds.
2 - I don't actually have a Boss ES-8 but I do need to do something with patch memory and midi switching. I've got an Epic Looper PCB set on the way so I might be able to work something out with just 5 loops for dirt/comp/fuzz and compliment everything else with a combination of midi switching and some pedals not in loops (all the weird synth stuff, harmonizer pedals don't have to be in loops). The ES-8 checks a lot of boxes but it is really expensive.
3 - Stereo through all on the top tier.

This board will be pretty huge but it's got a lot of stuff on it that I can't get through DIY builds alone. So over the top. Much tone. Wow!

jimilee

I can still see a little bit of empty space, what are you gonna do with that, 1590A phaser perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonnyboy27

That looks intense and awesome. Where are you putting that ditto in the chain?

madbean

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on October 31, 2018, 11:07:31 AM
That looks intense and awesome. Where are you putting that ditto in the chain?

It would go after the dirt pedals but before Richochet. Putting a repeating loop through the Richochet offers a lot of cool tricks. The Alter Ego has a looper but I never use one at the end of the chain...always before delay.

Yahoo67

That board is definitly missing a diy version of the micro synth ^^ "wink" " wink" "cough" "cough"

jjjimi84

A couple things;

1. That board would be epic, a diy looper with midi where you can build the amount of loops would be great to see.

2. A diy micro synth would be amazing i would poop my pants in excitement.

3. Alter ego x4 is quite possibly one of the best delays of all time. I am glad I got one with the proguitarshop deal for a 150. Brian I would love to know your thoughts on the sounds compared to some of the stuff you have. I am currently in love with the dirt baby and believe it tops the dmm in the x4.

madbean

I've priced out the hardware which comes to $140. The 3/8" plywood would add another $40, I think. This would be for a fully enclosed pedalboard - lid with handle and even wheels. I plan on tolex-ing the whole thing and I already have that.

The cheapest road case I've found so far with most of the specs I want comes out to around $230 and I would still have to build my second tier. So, DIY seems to be the way to go. For the tier, it will have soft close cabinet hinges so you can flip it up and adjust knobs on the pedals underneath it. Cool!

madbean

Welp, the Novo32 sold through Reverb so I guess I am fully committed now, haha. Fortunately, I got about enough to cover all the hardware I need for the DIY build so the only out of pocket expense will be the 3/8" plywood. I figure it'll take me...ohh, three months to finally get around to it!