News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bumblebee

Started by madbean, November 05, 2018, 04:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've only got a small handful of Bumblebee boards and I have a feeling it will be a popular project. So, here's something I'm considering - a new layout for it fitted for 125B with the switching on a single board. Plus, it would include a 6-pin header to connect your jacks so they can be unplugged for easy removal!

This was a real challenge. Frankly, I don't know how he gets so much on a 1590B layout. I think a lot of it has to do with using much smaller pads and closer spacing than I typically use. The trade-off is cramped boards and sometimes hard to solder pads. This layout is dense, but should be a pretty straight-forward build and be easier to solder up.

Aentons

Any chance I could get in on one of those original boards? I bought a bunch of parts up front (jacks, relay, power) when I did my first vfe order since I was planning on building them all. I was gonna oshpark some of the original switch boards once I run out. I am also planning on getting the FRH and Springboard so I could do all those at once to save on shipping.

zombie_rock123

Take off the switching stuff and yours doesn't seem *that* much bigger unless I'm being super obtuse. And if it's more solder friendly and an all-in-one then it's a win win!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on November 05, 2018, 08:33:51 AM
Any chance I could get in on one of those original boards? I bought a bunch of parts up front (jacks, relay, power) when I did my first vfe order since I was planning on building them all. I was gonna oshpark some of the original switch boards once I run out. I am also planning on getting the FRH and Springboard so I could do all those at once to save on shipping.

I'll probably do a sign up for the original PCbs for those who want one (you can be entry #1!). Not sure when it would be available - my stock on switching MCU went down considerably this past weekend. I have enough left to release the Springboard and Fiery Red but maybe not enough for the Bumblebee yet.

dan.schumaker

If we are calling dibs on an original bumblebee board, I would also like in on that.

brucer

Okay.  Feeling a little inspired (?) by the posts here - http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28860.0 - I'm going to edit my post and pass on the Bumblebee until I finish building and boxing the other circuits I've started.  Maybe the risk of missing out will motivate me!

Also talked my self out of buying a used Hwy 1 Strat this morning, thinking I need to play my existing guitars more before buying another ... even though it played great and I was pumped to mod the heck out of it a la Robbie Robertson ... minus the bronze dip ...

Moderation is a challenge for me ... but you've probably figured that out already ...

madbean

Consider this thread the list (in order of posters who want one). I think I have 15 boards but I will double check.

madbean

Shit is gettin' done, son.

jduma

I would love one of these as well VFE builds are fun.

somnif

Quote from: madbean on November 07, 2018, 06:07:34 PM
Shit is gettin' done, son.

Have any roughly equivalent SMD FETs to test in the beast? I'm curious how they compare to the old stock.

madbean

Hit a bit of brick wall on this one. Getting great compression but no Slow Gear love. Got signal out of the envelope detector so that's good. It does call for a 6.2v Zener and the closest I have is 6.8v. But, I'm feeling like that's not the issue.

Anyway, I'll update when I've made further progress.

EBK

I have at least ten twenty 6.2V zeners if you want one or several. 

How's that song go again?

Have you zener?
Tell me have you zener?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

jk

benny_profane

If this is still serving as the sign up thread, count me in for a board!

fair.child

Bean,

Try stick with 2N5457 with low VGS. I had a great swell result at 1.32V Vgs. I think that might be the issue. I built 4x Bumblebee and I found the lower Vgs gives me better result than 2N5952. I don't know why but I guess it's the mojo I got there

Hope it helps. Still can't wait to see it's being released.