News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

moodring max feedback mod

Started by ChRa, November 09, 2018, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChRa

Hello, I am building the moodring pedal and wanted to add some cool mods. The one that I really would like is a momentary switch to max out the feedback for some spooky sounds. I found a thread below that describes a "slam switch". Would that do the trick? To do the mod it says "I also added a slam switch that shorts pin 2 and 3 of both the feedback and the depth pots"--so would you run a DPDT normally off momentary to short those pins when the switch is on? I couldn't pull up the figures so that'd really help. Thanks!

If anyone knows of other cool, easy mods, please post! Thanks!

QuoteHey, so I've just built a modded Moodring and even though it's not exactly finished, I got so excited playing it that I couldn't not share it!

I changed the tone section a bit to get a flatter response in the mids (I prefer the sound, and find the feedback pot reacts better that way).

I also added a slam switch that shorts pin 2 and 3 of both the feedback and the depth pots. The level trimpot helps get the desired amount of slam effect.

I boxed it and played it for a while. It's such a GREAT circuit!!

Then I let it sleep and while I was away I had an idea... I've wanted a reverb with modulation controls for a while (like the Keeley vibe-o-verb), and it occurred to me I could modulate the predelay to get that effect. Since the feedback loop includes the PT2399, even the tails should be modulated with the feedback pot cranked.
So I built a GrindCustoms modulation board on vero, with a B2K depth pot and C250k rate pot (also omitted the 1K in parallel with the led) and it worked!
There was just enough room to add the two pots and one switch. It would have been nice to use mini 9mm plastic pots for the modulation section, but it seemed just impossible.

The modulation is very interactive with the feedback pot, which is not surprising. There's a bit of a learning curve, but all in all it's still quite simple to operate. And man do I LOVE the sounds I can get with this reverb now! Straight up pseudo spring reverb, cavernous feedbacks, haunting vibrato verb, slightly modulated subtle reverb.

The wiring is quite messy... it was much cleaner before adding the modulation board... (FYI the noise was present from the beginning, and isn't a consequence of my poor wiring).
I still want to polish the enclosure a bit more and then stamp the controls, but I feel too lazy to take it apart again... :)

From left to right the controls are:
Modulation rate / depth / switch (on-off)
Predelay / Feedback / Tone
Reverb
On-off / Slam