News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Long term memory - WTF

Started by madbean, November 09, 2018, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I am proud to say that I am the Cliff Clavin of my family  ;)

reddesert

Quote from: ChRa on November 10, 2018, 09:13:13 AM
Otherwise, I'd be more inclined to file that in the "getting old sucks" bin, which I am all too familiar with!

In case you are interested, here is a recent interview I did on why we forget names: http://time.com/5348486/why-do-you-forget-names/

That and your line of work are very cool.

I feel that there are certain areas where I have very vivid memories, and often, I think, these were formed during a heightened state of attention.  For me a lot of the time that has to do with outdoor activity (cycling, hiking, climbing type of things). Because I like what I'm doing, but also, I think, because it requires a lot of attention at the moment the memory is being formed. Like everyone, I also sometimes forget people's names immediately after introduction, or which of my friends told me  a story or which I told a story to, and I think that's related to distractions and not paying as much attention in the moment.

cajone5

Interesting. I'm awful with names and faces myself. Seems like a trend here. However I'm also awful when it comes to long term personal event memory. I retain a lot of information related to engineering (I'm an engineer) and other technical things. However, I live in what I refer to as a short term window. Basically I can recall events of the past year or two but before that it's very sparse or non-existent. My memory pre-high school is basically zero. High school, almost nothing. College, very little. First 10 years of work just a bit more than college. It's odd. And the window moves with time. I'm two to four years I'm unlikely to be able to recall any real memories of my life today. For example, I hardly remember the early parts of my relationship with my now fiancée and we started dating less than 5 years ago. It kind of sucks, honestly.

Oh and for reference I'm only 33. So I don't think it's age related, especially as it's been ongoing for as long as I can remember... which of course isn't that long. :)

EBRAddict

I went to a very small high school, 38 kids in my graduating class. I literally got on a plane the night of graduation and never went back. Fast forward 15 years later I met up with a couple classmates I was close friends with and they started dropping names while telling stories. I'm just sitting there looking blank-faced over my beer with no idea who they were talking about. It was mostly about kids in my age range, I'd forgotten most of them.

madbean

Quote from: ChRa on November 10, 2018, 09:13:13 AM
@madbean I am a neuroscientist who studies human memory...that's my day job anyway  ;) What you're talking about sounds pretty normal. People generally forget most stuff that happened a long time ago, but you're much more aware of all the stuff you forgot from the last week because people remind you of it. In fact people forget most of the details of stuff that happens in a day. I am absolutely terrible at remembering faces, names, and most anything that involves people, but I am much better with things that involve bands, guitars, or other random stuff. Some of that probably boils down to dopamine, but that's a deep rabbit hole.

Anyway, if you are forgetting that you had a conversation a few hours ago--not just what was said, but the fact that you had a conversation--then I'd be concerned. Or if you find yourself getting lost very easily. Or if your close friends and family are concerned. Or finally, if you are having other problems like headaches, sleep apnea or insomnia, depression, etc.

Otherwise, I'd be more inclined to file that in the "getting old sucks" bin, which I am all too familiar with!

In case you are interested, here is a recent interview I did on why we forget names: http://time.com/5348486/why-do-you-forget-names/

Well dang...we have a fancy pants here! (Actually, that's great!) Yeah, it's good to know that this is all pretty normal stuff. Nothing about my memory concerns or alarms me other than it can be frustrating. It's also getting a bit harder to remember things I've learned on purpose. I know that happens to everyone, though.

The mnemonic thing from the article is bang on. I used to do that a lot. For example, when I first started in electronics I could never remember the cathode and anode on diodes. Then I made a small mnemonic for it "The cathode is flat". Once I connected it to a visual representation (the schematic symbol) it just "imprinted". After a while I didn't need the mnemonic part anymore.

While we are on the subject, maybe someone can explain to me why we perceive our consciousness right behind (or just above) our eyes. I mean, I know that's where the think-jelly is but why should all my conscious thoughts be located seemingly in one physical spot? I want to think in my stomach at some point (but not with it).

Feral Feline

Hi,

Don't mind me, just lurking around the place...

What were we talking about?
and...
Who are you?

Seriously, never could remember people's names, sometimes not even people I've known for a long time, but if I have a break from seeing them... poof, it's gone.

Wouldn't be too bad of a problem if I could remember faces...

I, too, remember small insignificant moments in my life — truly insignificant — in great detail with crisp clarity. No idea why such an inconsequential moment like "this" or "that" would lodge itself in my shambles of a mind palace ... but, can I remember to do my taxes on time?

Back to my corner, ever lurking...
FF

alanp

Quote from: madbean on November 10, 2018, 05:21:12 PM
While we are on the subject, maybe someone can explain to me why we perceive our consciousness right behind (or just above) our eyes. I mean, I know that's where the think-jelly is but why should all my conscious thoughts be located seemingly in one physical spot? I want to think in my stomach at some point (but not with it).

Possibly because vision is so incredibly important to most humans?

My mental association for anode/cathode on diodes probably clicked when I realised that cathode is also sometimes spelt kathode, and the K looks like the stripe end of the diode symbol :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

oip

this thread is strangely reassuring - i've got a decent memory but it's gotten very noticeably worse (to me anyway) in the last 10 years and i've put it down to getting older.  i'm sure electronic overstimulation and everyone's attention span being whittled down to zero doesn't help either.

'LED polarity' is one of my more heavily googled phrases, right along with 'capacitor uF conversion chart' and 'TL072 pinout'.  maybe it'll sink in one day..

ChRa

@cajone5: Hate to say it, but age-related memory decline starts at 30 (some would say earlier). Getting old sucks!
@madbean: Sorry didn't mean to be braggy--just thought I'd reassure you that you're not alone! And despite the fact that we do a lot of electroencephalography, I know almost nothing about proper electronics. DIYSB and this forum has been helpful, though.

One of the things that there's really no good research on: Do different people really learn in different ways? Some people say they are visual learners, others say they can't visualize at all. We don't really even know if, after controlling for IQ, there are really important differences between people in the ability to memorize things.

juansolo

Quote from: ChRa on November 11, 2018, 09:27:48 AM
One of the things that there's really no good research on: Do different people really learn in different ways? Some people say they are visual learners, others say they can't visualize at all. We don't really even know if, after controlling for IQ, there are really important differences between people in the ability to memorize things.

I know I do. I can focus on being talked at for much more than 30 mins, beyond that I zone out. Always have since I was a kid. I used to get all sorts of shit for that to the point that at primary school (UK thing, from 8-11ish IIRC), from labeling me a daydreamer and a bit thick. They made me re-sit an exam on my own with a teacher stood over me because they were convinced I had cheated (it was obviously a subject I had some interest in...). When I nailed it a 2nd time they were genuinely dumbfounded.

That lack of attention continues to this day. Technical courses for my job, again I struggle to maintain concentration on the subject. But sit me in front of a computer and let me actually do it, and I'm there for hours until I fully have my head around something. I've always been better learning by doing, ever since I was a kid with Meccano and Lego.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gordo

Whoa!! MAJOR flashback.  I'd totally forgotten about Meccano.  I'm not sure but think it was more of a UK/CDN thing.

The only part about this memory thing that really bothers me is that over the years my wife has become convinced that I'm a complete idiot.  There are days I'd be hard pressed to prove her wrong.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Quote from: gordo on November 12, 2018, 06:18:15 AM
Whoa!! MAJOR flashback.  I'd totally forgotten about Meccano.  I'm not sure but think it was more of a UK/CDN thing.
In the US, we had (have?) Erector instead of Meccano.  Now, Meccano owns the Erector brand. 

Anyone here see the TV program where James May crossed a Meccano bridge in Liverpool?

https://youtu.be/Ha37BzRvJAA
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

blearyeyes

I would comment but since I'm at the end of this thread I can't remember what it is you said.

chromesphere

My wife often reminds me how bad my memory is.  I think, perhaps, shes just making things up to pin blame on me.  But im not sure because I think I have a bad memory. 
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Aleph Null

Quote from: madbean on November 10, 2018, 05:21:12 PMWhile we are on the subject, maybe someone can explain to me why we perceive our consciousness right behind (or just above) our eyes. I mean, I know that's where the think-jelly is but why should all my conscious thoughts be located seemingly in one physical spot? I want to think in my stomach at some point (but not with it).

I think that's most cultural. The ancient Egyptians thought the heart was the seat of reason, not the seat of emotion. The ancient Romans thought the seat of emotion was the bowels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk