News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD! Trevor Rabin Signature guitar

Started by tone seeker, November 13, 2018, 03:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tone seeker

3 years ago, I got ahold of this guitar, to set It up, replace parts, and get it back
To the way it should be. Well, the original owner decided to let it go. I told the
Owner, back when I fixed it up, that if she was to sell it, let me know. I already
Have a solid body Alverez electric guitar, back when they were discontinued,
And I always liked the feel of the neck (minus it's other short comings).
This guitar is a AER300BK Trevor Rabin signature model.

So, I had to take it apart (again), and clean it up (smells like cigarettes and alcohol)
Get it back into shape. Back in the day (1993), it retailed for around $900, and I
know the Original owner payed that for it. It has it's plus and minus points to
It. Like a brass block on the Floyd Rose, adjustable saddles on the bridge, split
Coil switch, on the humbucker, a very nice cutaway, for the upper frets, neck
Through, curved body that's real comfortable.

The negative points, would be, the way it's put together. Stuff, that should have
Easily been caught, like the spring claw for the bridge, is way off. The wiring mess
In the cavity, a guitar tuner, that is a liitle crooked, and I am not sure about the
Pickups. The pickups have no labels, or markings, to indicate what they are. They
Sound really nice, thick, with gain. I noticed though, they feedback really easily
(Which I wonder if they really just need swapped out). I got it for $200, and I really
Love the neck, and how easy it is to get up, high on the neck. I think that's what I
Like the best. Other than that, it stays in tune, and plays awesome.

I would like to find out more about the pickups, if anyone has any info, that
Would be helpful. Otherwise, I'm gonna try to keep it as original as possible.

ahiddentableau

I had no idea Alvarez had ever made electrics.  That's cool.  Their old acoustics are rad--especially the ones from the 70s.  Actually, even now they made rad acoustics under the Yairi name.  Where is yours made, anyway?  For the original price I'm assuming it's Japanese.  Is that right?

tone seeker

Quote from: ahiddentableau on November 13, 2018, 03:44:06 PM
I had no idea Alvarez had ever made electrics.  That's cool.  Their old acoustics are rad--especially the ones from the 70s.  Actually, even now they made rad acoustics under the Yairi name.  Where is yours made, anyway?  For the original price I'm assuming it's Japanese.  Is that right?

Well, that's where it gets a little tricky. It was said, they were made in the U.S., but I know my other Alverez was made in Korea, made of cheaper quality, but played great.

The Trevor Rabin models, I think were made in 2 different models. 1 U.S. made, and a cheaper import. So I'm pretty sure this one is Korean made.    I have the warranty card, and stuff that came with it new. It indicates being made in U.S., but I don't think so. They use decals to give make, model, and serial numbers, but no location of manufacturer. By the way it's built, it seems import.

But, yea, they made several models in the 90's. Some of the best were Dana Scoop models. There would be a gap in between the neck and body (no wood), and the body meets up with the upper arm. Was supposed to help tone in some way, but who knows. Interesting deign though