News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hotcake project?

Started by Aentons, November 20, 2018, 08:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Are there any Hotcake projects or pcb's? Sorry, I'm not really into vero or etching at the moment.

Since this is a unique circuit that doesn't get as much love as some of the others, I'd also be interested in any circuit analysis/study if anyone feels like sharing.

Betty Wont

madbean

It's one that I was looking at as a possible giveaway project but no firm commitment yet. I do have the board designed, though.

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on November 20, 2018, 08:53:35 AM
It's one that I was looking at as a possible giveaway project but no firm commitment yet. I do have the board designed, though.

You should release it.  I'm sure it would sell like, um, a popular breakfast item.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

vizcities

Even though I've built several stripboard Hotcakes, I would STILL buy a bunch of these. It's my favorite OD, and I love giving it as a gift.

reddesert

A bit of circuit discussion: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=118523. There are some more threads on freestompboxes, including one quoting a letter discussing the circuit from Paul Crowther, the original designer.

Aentons

Thanks folks!

There are a mix of '77 and 2003 build versions out there which seems to have some not so minor circuit changes. In one of the linked posts it is stated that the '77 sounds more like a Marshall and the 2003 sounds more like a Fender. Has anyone found that to be true? Is there any kind of consensus as to which sounds better with a clean-ish Vox? (I have an AC30)

Quote from: pickdropper on November 20, 2018, 08:58:55 AM

You should release it.  I'm sure it would sell like, um, a popular breakfast item.

I agree and would definitely be up for it. I'm curious which version you did?

JackSkellington

I don't know the Hotcake so well, just a friend of mine says that it is very transparent. He has a new original one, I guess.

Myabe is not what you want, but what about a double pedal version including both the circuit? A sort of King of Tone style but with the Hotcake. :)
Could be a good idea for somebody else.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

For some reason this is one of those fundamental type overdrives that got past me.  It's a low enough parts count that maybe this one will push me past my fear of breadboards.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

The one I worked out is for the 2003 version, IIRC. But, I think the one I built several years ago was the 70's version.

Aentons

So it sounds like there are 5 multiple versions of the single pedal..

'77 (original version with mids switch)
'77 (same but with presence pot instead of switch)
2003 guitar version
2003 bass version
2003 bluesberry mod version ( guitar or bass)

The double has one regular version and one bluesberry version and an extra gain stage in between

I read that newer versions have two internal jumpers or dip switches that let you select the bluesberry mod on/off and guitar/bass versions.

I found the BB mod stated as:
"The "Bluesberry" mod, which puts a 1N914 from pin 2 (cathode) to pin 3 of the IC, and from pin 2(cathode) to ground (pin 4)."

Anybody know what the guitar/bass changes are? I'm curious if it is more than the normal input/output cap swap?

A PCB that includes switching for the various mods would be great

JackSkellington

Quote from: alanp on November 22, 2018, 07:25:09 AM
Heh, Crowther already beat you to the double Hotcake!

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/crowther-double-hot-cake-overdrive-pedal.html

I didn' know it! :P
I just can't get completely why that third Drive control acting just when A and B are both turn on, and the A Drive pot is switched off... or something like that... I don't know. I'll search more information about it.

Aentons, if you find different schematic, or different value, try to socket it for some tests. I did it with Big Muff, and I'll do it for the OCD.
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»