News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Coming up: BOTY contest

Started by madbean, November 24, 2018, 06:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

As is tradition every year, we will be having a 2018 Build of the Year contest which will be launching on Dec. 1st. This will give everyone a chance to vote on their favorite build of 2018 from the mbp community and will include prizes for the winner and runners-up. I am also thinking of running a second contest in tandem for folks who would like to be in a contest but maybe are less confident about their actual build techniques. The second contest is not focused on actual builds but rather creative use of DIY pedals. Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed). What do you guys think of this idea? I'm also thinking I could supply an optional audio file of just a simple bass/drums/keys sequence that could be used in the submission (although would not be required; a pre-existing performance or audio clip would also be fine).

In any case, I am putting in a request for any additional sponsors for runners up prizes if you are inclined. This could be in the form of a small gift certificate to a PCB shop or parts supplier or just something cool you would donate to a participant. If you would like to sponsor the contest, please PM or email me at madbean AT gmail.com.

I'll have the final details of the contest(s) up later this week!

jimilee

What a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fair.child

I'm up for submitting my VFE Mega Pedal build!

alanp

Quote from: madbean on November 24, 2018, 06:43:48 PM
The second contest is not focused on actual builds but rather creative use of DIY pedals. Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed). What do you guys think of this idea?

I like this idea! Pedals that can oscillate (like the No Name Flange) are something that springs to mind.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Quote from: fair.child on November 24, 2018, 08:09:40 PM
Can I vote for that one more than once? ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Quote from: EBK on November 25, 2018, 06:17:32 AM
Quote from: fair.child on November 24, 2018, 08:09:40 PM
Can I vote for that one more than once? ;D

I think we might have to pay fair.child NOT to enter, haha. That thing is so crazy.

PMowdes

Can I get my Biphase finished in time ?¿??

jimilee

I have done probably 6 all year, but apparently I have only painted and decaled 2. My bi-phase is mostly just sharpee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PMowdes

As is tradition every year, we will be having a 2018 Build of the Year contest which will be launching on Dec. 1st. This will give everyone a chance to vote on their favorite build of 2018 from the mbp community and will include prizes for the winner and runners-up. I am also thinking of running a second contest in tandem for folks who would like to be in a contest but maybe are less confident about their actual build techniques. The second contest is not focused on actual builds but rather creative use of DIY pedals. Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed). What do you guys think of this idea? I'm also thinking I could supply an optional audio file of just a simple bass/drums/keys sequence that could be used in the submission (although would not be required; a pre-existing performance or audio clip would also be fine).

In any case, I am putting in a request for any additional sponsors for runners up prizes if you are inclined. This could be in the form of a small gift certificate to a PCB shop or parts supplier or just something cool you would donate to a participant. If you would like to sponsor the contest, please PM or email me at madbean AT gmail.com.

I'll have the final details of the contest(s) up later this week!

Dino and I will happily throw a few pcbs in the mix for prizes.

m-Kresol

Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed).

Does this count as "creative use"?  ;D ;D
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

madbean

Quote from: m-Kresol on November 26, 2018, 12:14:14 PM
Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed).

You seem to have built a Yaktooter.

cooder

Felix, you have built a speed adjustable dog fart thingy...!
Does it smell accordingly...?
FTW!
BigNoise Amplification

Rockhorst

I'll throw something into the cauldron of prizes from Nucleon. I hope to have some nice new projects ready soon, but I'll formalize the exact prize later on. Looking forward to all those fab builds.

midwayfair

Putting a microphone on your butt does NOT count. Come on.

selfdestroyer

My vote is for the fart machine!

QuoteThe second contest is not focused on actual builds but rather creative use of DIY pedals. Specifically, a contest that requires an audio submission of some kind of creative or unique use of pedals you have built (regardless of year completed)

I think this is a really cool idea!